Another "Won't Start" Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
jt_armstrong

jt_armstrong

Reaction score
So my issue never recurred...until tonight. I had the pressure gauge in the back of the car so was able to quickly confirm 0psi on the fuel rail. Clearly a pump or fuse box issue. Waiting on the tow truck to bring me home.
Does anyone know if there Is an accessible disconnect under the vehicle where I can test for a power feed to the pump?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

46L281GT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In the back of the vehicle on the left is the fuel pump inertia switch. You could check voltage there if you can reach the plug.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I do agree with stamp11127 about changing the pump after 150000 miles but there are always exceptions to that mileage. If you were in a different location and cold weather was a factor I would say now is a good time to change it. But your winter weather isn't as bad as some other places. Follow what stamp says about the fuse block. There is a good video on you tube about taking apart the fuse block on the 03 expeditions

OP
OP
jt_armstrong

jt_armstrong

Reaction score
Thanks Guys. Last night when I got the truck back I pulled the fuse box out and stripped it down. I now have access to the circuit board containing the 5 soldered relays. Unfortunately none appear to be fried although I do see some element of corrosion on some of the tracks. I have brought the board to work this morning with a hope that I can get one of our techs to have a look at it under the microscope and maybe test out the relays. A site on eBay is selling the relay for $18 so at least a replacement is available albeit with 10 days of shipping. In the meantime, if I do find a fault it might be worth swapping the bad relay with one of the other 4. One is for fog lights which I never use. This would get me up and running while the replacement is delivered.

OP
OP
jt_armstrong

jt_armstrong

Reaction score
Quick update. The techs at work established the board was good and also established that the relay was operational. Because it was easy to do they swapped R303 with R301. I fitted the fuse box back in the truck this evening but engine still would not start.
Looks like its time to swap out the fuel pump after all.

OP
OP
jt_armstrong

jt_armstrong

Reaction score
Is there a way to remove the fuel pump without dropping the tank? I found a thread where someone had done this on 2002 model. Not sure if the same trick would work on a 2003. Mine has over half a tank of gas in it and if there is an easy way to do this then I'm all ears.

OP
OP
jt_armstrong

jt_armstrong

Reaction score
For those who share an interest in this procedure, today I managed to drop the tank and remove it from the truck. I managed to balance the tank on two floor jacks which allowed to remove all the pipes and the retaining straps. The tank came out with almost no hassle. There is a vent pipe on the top of the tank which is difficult to spot so watch for that. All other pipes are easy to see and there is no requirement for special tools.
Once I had the the tank out I siphoned the gas into a 5 gallon tank which was duly emptied into the tank of my Jeep. ;-)
I got 15 gallons out it all. My new pump is due to arrive tomorrow so I am hoping with an empty tank I should have this back in the truck before lunch.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Use your floor jack to lift and hold the tank in place while installing the straps. Another option is to use the jack stands but the amount of contact with the tank is reduced.

OP
OP
jt_armstrong

jt_armstrong

Reaction score
Use your floor jack to lift and hold the tank in place while installing the straps. Another option is to use the jack stands but the amount of contact with the tank is reduced.
Thanks Stamp. That's my plan. I have a wooden board about 3' long which I put between the tank and the jack so I have more manoeuvrability without damaging the tank. The hardest part will be reattaching the vent hose which shouldn't be as hard as removing it given that I can decide where the wormscrew for the house clamp will be. The rest is just plug and play...