Any problems with the 2019?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grumpyoleman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
... I address it with the local managers, and have never not had anything resolved.

Loki is spot on (from my experience). The more you can resolve at the local level, the less problems you are likely to have down the road. The very few times I had to escalate over a manager's head, you could tell right away that bridges were burned. I may or may not have gotten what I wanted but I wasn't likely to get any future help from the fella whose head I just stepped on.

Nothing wrong with escalating the issue, if the local guy has been given a fair shot to make it right.

Just my $0.02

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like we have different philosophies, and my dealer must be good. In 20+ years dealing with them on various vehicles, I have never had to call corporate. I have had my share of issues. I address it with the local managers, and have never not had anything resolved.

If I was them, I would hate you. Jumping to higher, before even trying to address it local. Sorry you have had a bad experience with a Subaru dealer, but that doesn't mean every dealer for every brand is like that.
When a repair isn’t done per the book and isn’t done correctly ie failure happens again yes dealers are 3rd party businesses they don’t magically all have skilled and well trained parts exchangers on staff given many dealers especially today don’t pay skilled mechanics enough to work at dealers.
I worked for a large Autogroup at one point they monopolize an entire region everything from perceived model availability and pricing manipulation, to service pricing manipulation to qualified tech pay! Its a huge issue in major auto markets today. Especially with everything being “warranty work” which is low to zero profit work for dealers.

You will find more qualified and skilled mechanics working at independent shops than dealers today due to this Dealer / Auto Group trend. Having said that a big reason to buy Ford or GM today is that many dealers are still family owned and are not Autogroup store fronts.

Its a huge issue and Auto Makers are very aware of it. Even back in 2001 Toyota had a army of area reps that constantly looked into dealer services to make sure repairs were being done by the book. Ie ensuring brand quality wasn’t being adversely impacted by poor repair or service issues causing damaged vehicles etc.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
When a repair isn’t done per the book and isn’t done correctly ie failure happens again yes dealers are 3rd party businesses they don’t magically all have skilled and well trained parts exchangers on staff given many dealers especially today don’t pay skilled mechanics enough to work at dealers.
I worked for a large Autogroup at one point they monopolize an entire region everything from perceived model availability and pricing manipulation, to service pricing manipulation to qualified tech pay! Its a huge issue in major auto markets today. Especially with everything being “warranty work” which is low to zero profit work for dealers.

You will find more qualified and skilled mechanics working at independent shops than dealers today due to this Dealer / Auto Group trend. Having said that a big reason to buy Ford or GM today is that many dealers are still family owned and are not Autogroup store fronts.

Its a huge issue and Auto Makers are very aware of it. Even back in 2001 Toyota had a army of area reps that constantly looked into dealer services to make sure repairs were being done by the book. Ie ensuring brand quality wasn’t being adversely impacted by poor repair or service issues causing damaged vehicles etc.

Blah, Blah, Blah. This is all well known but NOT the case everywhere. My dealer is part of a LARGE group that treats their customers right in general.

Defaulting to corporate might be the right thing for your area, but is terrible advice in general. Trying to first work with the local guy will get you WAY farther in most places.

I do agree there is a time to go up the tree, but that shouldn’t be the default.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PhrogPilot

Reaction score
I’m holding off on going up until after I get the rear shocks replaced under warranty. At that time I will allow the local dealer a chance to reimburse me for the cost of one strut and my rental car. Normally I would agree that burning the bridges is not good but at that point I will be done with Ford forever so if I don’t get satisfaction I will be going scorched earth. Have had nothing but Fords since I switched in 2003 but the 2018 and 2019 Expeditions have been too much trouble for me with cam phasers, struts and shocks, ill fitting doors and trim and “funny” shifting transmission along with crappy dealer support both in Iowa and Texas. Could be getting the same troubles with a 2022 Yukon Denali diesel but so far I know I have a bad vehicle so what the heck, may as well try it out. (I know, same transmission in the Yukon).

keny01998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a bit over 27K on mine. Continuing my saga, it was at the dealer Monday and Tuesday, was told “we will only replace 1 front strut and both rear shocks, but they are all backordered until 3rd week of June and oh by the way, you’re on your own for a rental car, we may be able to get you a loaner for a week of that”. I had already rented a car so $600 of my money already invested in the “project”. Brought my Expedition home and on Wednesday called a local repair shop to inquire about getting parts and putting on BOTH front struts on my nickel. He called back 15 minutes later to tell me he would have them Thursday. Thursday I drove over to drop off and when checking in I asked where he got the struts and my jaw hit the floor when he told me - he got them from the dealer who told me they were backordered until late June. Nice job Ford! Another $750 of my $$ is now going for a repair that could have been done in a timely manner under warranty. I’ll be calling corporate (yes, good luck with that) to see if they will make things right - LOL - chances rated at between zero and negative 5 but I’ll get it off my chest.

Man, my 2019 XLT 4WD was bouncing all over the place after I took my family out on a short road trip. Any small bump on the road caused the rear to bounce significantly and my kids asked what's wrong since they stayed in the 3rd road. I just hit over 20k miles and my worries about struts/shocks are finally showing up. I have 2 local Ford dealers in the area, let hope they aren't jerk like yours.

OP
OP
R

rick619

Reaction score
Finally closed the deal on the 2019 Limited. Max tow, leather seats, lots of electronics, etc. Ended up getting $8700 less than sticker. Kind of disgusted that the original salesman gets a piece of the commission. The first guy was kind of an ass and didn't want to deal, didn't follow up, etc. I told the 2nd guy he should get all of the money.

Glad to have a good family vehicle with a third row to keep the kids from killing each other.

Thanks all for the input. Looking forward to the next road trip.

Expedition.jpg

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I like the blue

I went Pearl white this time. Now have three cars all white. Boring given my prior rides were candy apple red and a deep dark blue lol. However!! I will admit the white ride stays cooler.

OP
OP
R

rick619

Reaction score
I like the blue

I went Pearl white this time. Now have three cars all white. Boring given my prior rides were candy apple red and a deep dark blue lol. However!! I will admit the white ride stays cooler.

And cleaner looking too. White was one of the few colors we were looking for. Didn't want black, shows dirt too much.