Auto start stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have been looking at a new Expedition (Limited Stealth performance).

One option on the online configurator is to disable the auto start stop. Is this a permanent setting? Or can this be turned on and off by the owner.

I think I would want it off most of the time. But I could see wanting it on in heavy traffic or in the city.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

304a does not have an option to remove auto start stop.
The 303a does. That’s the stealth trim without the HO 3.5 engine and 10 more speakers.

Alwaysthinkin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Some more info on the Autostop eliminator if you go that route:

PNWExpy

Reaction score
if you pay close enough attention the auto start/stop only shuts off the truck under specific brake pressure. If you Hold the brake very lightly or put a lot of pressure on it it will keep the motor on. Not always something you wanna deal with but if you are able to pay attention to your pedal pressure you can control it with that too.

I’ve been experimenting with different fuel and different tunes and when you have less than 100 miles on the trip sitting at a light will alter the MPG. It is annoying waiting for it to start and having the lights flicker though. When tuned I have it set to auto off.

Alwaysthinkin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if you pay close enough attention the auto start/stop only shuts off the truck under specific brake pressure. If you Hold the brake very lightly or put a lot of pressure on it it will keep the motor on. Not always something you wanna deal with but if you are able to pay attention to your pedal pressure you can control it with that too.

I’ve been experimenting with different fuel and different tunes and when you have less than 100 miles on the trip sitting at a light will alter the MPG. It is annoying waiting for it to start and having the lights flicker though. When tuned I have it set to auto off.
Jeez, if I don't like having to hit the button every single time I start my Expy I sure don't want to try and brake in such a manner that sometimes it keeps the motor running. Just put in the Autostop Eliminator and forget it. Note: you can turn the ASS back on with the Autostop Eliminator if you find yourself in a situation where you want it.

NukeLife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Jeez, if I don't like having to hit the button every single time I start my Expy I sure don't want to try and brake in such a manner that sometimes it keeps the motor running. Just put in the Autostop Eliminator and forget it. Note: you can turn the ASS back on with the Autostop Eliminator if you find yourself in a situation where you want it.
Exactly.
Just install the eliminator. It takes 30 minutes.
I can turn autostop on if I want to use it. I can turn it off if I don’t want to use it.
And it STAYS THAT WAY.
I haven’t used autostop in months and it is still OFF every time I get in my car and start it up.
You know, … the way it SHOULD work from the factory!

balthisar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Honest, non-critical question: you have to put it into drive every time you start, right? The button is right there near the rotary gear selector on recent models. Is this only bothersome on older models?

Alwaysthinkin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Honest, non-critical question: you have to put it into drive every time you start, right? The button is right there near the rotary gear selector on recent models. Is this only bothersome on older models?
Yeah, I've had to put any vehicle I've driven into drive (except those with the stick) since I began driving. Until now, I've never had to push a button every time I started to keep my car from turning off whenever I needed to stop. My personal reaction was "this is nuts"! Mostly, because I often forgot to push the button. So, for me, I was happy to find a product that made the vehicle act like I wanted it to act. ASS is an option when/if I want it, otherwise the sucker is OFF. Hope that was an honest, non-critical response to your question.
P.S. Also, I just don't think this constant on/off is good for the engine and other parts. No stats to back me up but just can't believe a (as an example) starter is going to last longer with ASS then without ASS.