Bad design of the spark plug port wells in the head

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CertusExpo

Customizing trucks since I was 7 with my Legos
Reaction score
I'm constantly getting pools of fluid in the spark plug port wells so I started wondering.
Is it possible to drill weep holes that will allow any fluid to drain out of the wells?
I'm tired of chronically shorting COPs and/or fouled plugs.

maxxplatinum9137

Reaction score
I'm constantly getting pools of fluid in the spark plug port wells so I started wondering.
Is it possible to drill weep holes that will allow any fluid to drain out of the wells?
I'm tired of chronically shorting COPs and/or fouled plugs.
Lol what kind of question is this? You want to drill holes in the spark plug wells to get rid of fluid? Why don’t you find out where the fluid is coming from and fix that. Come on man you’ve been “customizing trucks since I was 7 with my legos” and you think drilling a weep hole in the spark plug well is a good idea?

OP
OP
CertusExpo

CertusExpo

Reaction score
Lol what kind of question is this? You want to drill holes in the spark plug wells to get rid of fluid? Why don’t you find out where the fluid is coming from and fix that. Come on man you’ve been “customizing trucks since I was 7 with my legos” and you think drilling a weep hole in the spark plug well is a good idea?

The fluid is water being tossed up into the engine bay by the big lugs on mud terrain tires.
I don't baby my Expy... She gets dirty, muddy, and water innevitably drains down into the spark plug wells.
My question is valid and that would be a mod. Creating drain holes for each of the wells.

maxxplatinum9137

Reaction score
The fluid is water being tossed up into the engine bay by the big lugs on mud terrain tires.
I don't baby my Expy... She gets dirty, muddy, and water innevitably drains down into the spark plug wells.
My question is valid and that would be a mod. Creating drain holes for each of the wells.
Lol you must be a special person. Good luck with your “mod” hope someone helps you out

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What cylinders are you usually finding water in their plug wells ? If it's the very rear cylinders make sure your hood cowl weatherstrip is still there and water isn't running off the windshield cowl and onto the top of the motor. Are your front wheelwell liners gone ? And no, you can not drill any holes in the sparkplug wells.

vFEsCy.jpg

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You might have to get a few hunks of rubber or something to make a shield of some sort to block the intrusion points.
Drilling drain holes isn't going to cut it imo.

maxxplatinum9137

Reaction score
What cylinders are you usually finding water in their plug wells ? If it's the very rear cylinders make sure your hood cowl weatherstrip is still there and water isn't running off the windshield cowl and onto the top of the motor. Are your front wheelwell liners gone ? And no, you can not drill any holes in the sparkplug wells.

View attachment 72508

Yeah this guy is special thinking it’s ok to drill holes in the wells

OP
OP
CertusExpo

CertusExpo

Reaction score
Yeah this guy is special thinking it’s ok to drill holes in the wells
Seriously... I thought this was the whole purpose of a forum? To come forth with a problem and a theoretical solution then ask for opinions. At least that's what it used to be.

Heads are machined, ported, polished, modded, and even custom designed for race. So why is it so outlandish to think in theory, a drainage hole could be drilled as long as it doesn't of course intersect with an oil or coolant passage? It would simply go from the lowest measured point of the spark plug well to the outside edge of the head.
I thought of asking for a couple junk 5.4 heads to test drill all eight spark plug wells and see if any oil or coolant passages are hit. If they are, at least I can then see where they route and if a hole could be successfully drilled at a different angle that would serve the wanted result.

Our vehicles have ******, engineered to break away aluminum lower control arms so was it stupid of me to have mine gusseted with aircraft aluminum stock for increased strength? Mods are what some of us do. We don't do bolt-ons. We ponder, we theorize, we dream up solutions and then find a way to make them reality.

Scoff all you want. Maybe that's all you have going for you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CertusExpo

CertusExpo

Reaction score

View attachment 72508

There aren't any tears on that gasket although I thought of that. I could add some soft weatherstripping to the underside of the hood.

Cylinders 1, 2, 5, & 6 are the ones that get it the worst.

maxxplatinum9137

Reaction score
Seriously... I thought this was the whole purpose of a forum? To come forth with a problem and a theoretical solution then ask for opinions. At least that's what it used to be.

Heads are machined, ported, polished, modded, and even custom designed for race. So why is it so outlandish to think in theory, a drainage hole could be drilled as long as it doesn't of course intersect with an oil or coolant passage? It would simply go from the lowest measured point of the spark plug well to the outside edge of the head.
I thought of asking for a couple junk 5.4 heads to test drill all eight spark plug wells and see if any oil or coolant passages are hit. If they are, at least a can then see where they route and if a hole could be successfully drilled at other angles that would serve the wanted result.

Our vehicles have ******, engineered to break away aluminum lower control arms so was it stupid of me to have mine gusseted with aircraft aluminum stock for increased strength? Mods are what some of us do. We don't do bolt-ons. We ponder, we theorize, we dream up solutions and then find a way to make them reality.

Scoff all you want. Maybe that's all you have going for you.
Lol ok keep having fun customizing trucks that way. Your loss