Can I stop the cruise from engaging the brakes on hills?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fordalways

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We live in a region where it is relatively flat and the minor downgrades here do not cause a downshift or brake application. That said, last year we were on an extended road trip towing an 8000lb travel trailer using tow/haul mode. I did notice the tranny automatically downshifting to maintain downhill speed which can be good at times, but often allowing it to pick up some speed downhill helps with the following up hill. Anyone who has ever ridden a roller coaster understand the principle. But then I noticed the reflection of the brake lights coming on in conjunction with the downshifts. That defeats the advantage of being able to coast plus those following must have thought there was an idiot at the wheel brake checking them.

I believe the hill descent control is available only on the 4WD models, mine is 2WD and this downshifting and braking occurs at highway speeds.

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Every vehicle I’ve ever owned with cruise control slows the vehicle when going downhill to maintain the set speed.
Awe to be young, and only owned high end new vehicles. This 17 expedition is my 1st vehicle that controls the downhill speed.

I find it interesting about the 18+ guys saying it applies the breaks as well. I know mine definitely downshifted on step grades, but didn't notice the breaking? I wonder if say a new manual 6 speed mustang has this same feature to hold you back while in CC going d/hill? Certainly it wouldn't be able to downshift, but maybe ride the breaks?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
According to the manual, hill descent control only works up to 20mph.

"Hill descent control can maintain vehicle speeds on downhill grades between 2 mph (3 km/h) and 20 mph (32 km/h). Above 20 mph (32 km/h), the system remains armed, but you cannot use the system to set or maintain the descent speed."
Yeah I personally dont get that whole thing at all? Does that mean it will keep you from going any faster than 20mph?

aporthole

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Awe to be young, and only owned high end new vehicles.

Lol. My first car didn’t have cruise control. I even had to turn a crank to make the windows go up and down. It didn’t even have a keyfob clicker.

The Expedition is the “highest end” vehicle I’ve ever had, but yes, I’ve been very fortunate to have budgeted well and been able to afford newer vehicles thus far.

My previous whips were a 2011 Honda Pilot, 2008 Honda CR-V, and my first baby, a 2000 Toyota Echo. I’m a high rollin’ whipper snapper!

nate6966

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You ARE a high rolling whipper snapper!
My first vehicle was a 1979 Toyota Corolla Tercel (the combo name did exist, check it out). I quickly "upgraded" to a '77 Pontiac Bonneville.
From there - '81 Luv, '85 S10, '89 S10, '96 Ram, '98 Silverado, '02 Dakota, '08 Escape, '95 F250, '05 STS (still have), '09 Escalade, and now the '19 Expedition.
I can honestly say my '19 Platinum is the top as well - better features and better "fit and finish" than the Escalade. That's not even a fair comparison to be honest.

The Escalade, the STS, and the Escape all had some kind of feature linked with the cruise that worked to slow them on downhills, but I've never noticed it being through braking or downshifting - even with the Expedition. Granted, I haven't had this SUV for very long, but I'm anxious to test it after reading this thread.

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm 40 years old, so I grew up in the years of keyless entry being the coolest thing and cars actually having keys and cruise control that would vary 2-3 Mph from time to time and gain a ton of speed on downhills! I definitely miss the old iron, this "electronic nightmare" is too much of a babysitter In my opinion!
Give me a 454 and a 4 speed and I'll grin from ear to ear again! lol.

Zig10

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah I personally dont get that whole thing at all? Does that mean it will keep you from going any faster than 20mph?

Yes, but it's only for off-road use by and large. It helps when you're at the top of a steep incline and you want to focus on the steering input more than the braking, throttle, etc. while you're on your way down. Never had it in my off-roading days before, and certainly don't ever see myself putting this beast on a trail, but I'm sure someone will use it eventually...

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, but it's only for off-road use by and large. It helps when you're at the top of a steep incline and you want to focus on the steering input more than the braking, throttle, etc. while you're on your way down. Never had it in my off-roading days before, and certainly don't ever see myself putting this beast on a trail, but I'm sure someone will use it eventually...
I’ve used it a few times on some descents and it works just as you have stated. It’s actually pretty handy to just leave on while driving on forest service roads, when you come to a section of downhill it will take over the throttle and you can rest your foot.... as you accelerate out it will either maintain your new speed or if you go over 20 it won’t apply itself until you approach difficult terrain again. I don’t do any crazy stuff either but the roads I’ve used it on it’s been really nice. It’s like the heated steering wheel, I thought that was lame until I used it and now I don’t think I’d buy another car without that feature.

RhinoQuartz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This thread is so confusing. Is there actually a question as to whether or not cruise control engine brakes going downhill?I s that not standard?

Do people not do that anyway? What did everyone do when driving manual cars?

Here is a link explaining adaptive cruise control in Fords -

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My Mustang is a manual with cruise. If you apply the brakes it cancels the cruise. The car will not break or downshift on it's own to lower speed, neither will my Suburban or Malibu. They are all older vehicles. I just let them free roll on downhills, unless I see a state trooper.