Cargo Carrying Capacity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That does make sense now that I think about it all those options weigh up. So my XLT has roughly 400 pounds more cargo capacity. Prob due to the lack of power running boards, navigation display, and all that jazz. I never knew fuel was considered in curb weight good to know... I'm sure I've had mine right up to the 1,895 cargo or well beyond a few times... these trucks don't even feel it which can be good and bad. I find it doesn't even start to squat until you put a trailer behind it.

Last edited:

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That does make sense now that I think about it all those options weigh up. So my XLT has roughly 400 pounds more cargo capacity. Prob due to the lack of power running boards, navigation display, and all that jazz. I never knew fuel was considered in curb weight good to know... I'm sure I've had mine right up to the 1,895 cargo or well beyond a few times... these trucks don't even feel it which can be good and bad.

Careful with that...the "base curb weight" is most likely an estimate by Ford for a "base" model vehicle, and that is never defined in the ads. Your specific curb weight could be hundreds of pounds more, cutting into your cargo availability.

The best way is to clean out the truck, top off all fluids, and visit a truck scale somewhere (not a state weigh station on the interstate. They get pissed when you do that). Most truck stops will weigh you for free if you tell them you just want to know how much it really weighs. Most landfills with public access also have scales you can use.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
According to the ford.com for the 2017 Limited Expedition

Base Curb Weight

4x2/4x4 Expedition (lbs.)

5562/5789

4x2/4x4 Expedition EL (lbs.)

5841/6091

my 16 el 4x4 with full fuel weighs 6400lbs i know as i weighed it to ensure my hauler trailer was loaded properly, and its almost 50/50 with weight distribution 3300 front 3100 rear
I would suggest you may want to weigh the truck with as expected with passengers and fuel and then back out the numbers to get your gvw and actual cargo capacity.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Careful with that...the "base curb weight" is most likely an estimate by Ford for a "base" model vehicle, and that is never defined in the ads. Your specific curb weight could be hundreds of pounds more, cutting into your cargo availability.

The best way is to clean out the truck, top off all fluids, and visit a truck scale somewhere (not a state weigh station on the interstate. They get pissed when you do that). Most truck stops will weigh you for free if you tell them you just want to know how much it really weighs. Most landfills with public access also have scales you can use.

I'll have to go get the truck weighed this week now out of curiosity so I know my actual allowance. Maybe I'll get lucky and it will be lighter than the "factory curb weight" of 5,805 rather than heavier. It would be possible if it based on an average but if it's base like I think it prob won't be.

Last edited: