Catch Can!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kathy

Reaction score
If you have a 15-17 and aren’t running a Catch can you are severely missing out on an easy build up preventer, and possible issues down the line. See images below. It was a nice day after a week of severe cold, so I took the opportunity to empty my Catch cans on both my 16 Edge Sport and my 17 Expedition(1st Gen 3.5EB). These are pics from my Expeditions catch can After about 3500 Miles. My Edge was slightly less, but looked the same, and was about 4000 miles. It is worse in winter, and the 3.5 definitely fills faster.

View attachment 65739View attachment 65740View attachment 65741View attachment 65742

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Hi LokiWolf,
Did you install the Catch Can yourself? We ordered one for our 2016 Exp Limited and my husband is going to install it, but resources for instructions for the Expy's seem to be limited. Especially, front grill removal. Any help or pointing to help is appreciated.
Thanks

Begwi

Reaction score
Hi LokiWolf,
Did you install the Catch Can yourself? We ordered one for our 2016 Exp Limited and my husband is going to install it, but resources for instructions for the Expy's seem to be limited. Especially, front grill removal. Any help or pointing to help is appreciated.
Thanks
Kathy: sorry to barge in, but the catch can is pretty easy to install. The front grill does not need to be removed at all. Your purchase should come with enclosed directions, but photos of mine are included. They should work for you.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 19

maxxplatinum9137

Reaction score
Hi LokiWolf,
Thanks
It bolts to the firewall or battery box. Takes 5 minutes to install. And make sure that you only get the passenger side catch camp you’re not need a catch can from the driver side

OP
OP
LokiWolf

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Dirt simple to install.

Lift off the engine cover, unsnap the existing hoses, and snap in the catch can hoses. The can attaches to the firewall using an existing bolt. 10mm of course. Gotta be photos here.

-- Chuck
The newer ones attach to the battery box.

OP
OP
LokiWolf

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hi LokiWolf,
Thanks
All of the above gotcha! No grill removal needed if it is the J&L(JLT) Catch Can. If it is the style that goes in the battery box location, you will need a drill to drill one little hole in the plastic(10 seconds). If it is the style that goes on the firewall, you are using an existing bolt/nut.

Jst ROM

Reaction score
Hello folks,

Just reading and catching up on the stories, it pretty much applies to all Expy's from V8 to EcoBoost's. I haven't read all the posts but wondering how about the ones for the high mileage Expy's? I have a 2008 Expy Limited with minor engine MODS (if you consider a K&N reusable air filter) with over 220K original miles, and stringently change the oil every 5K with Bosch Distance Plus oil filter and Castro GTX semi-synthetic oil (additional info, if it helps). The usage of this Expy is short to long distances (5-100+ miles per day, sometimes), from local grocery shopping, hauling a 21ft boat to minor off-roading. I only have one vehicle and this is a well-pampered truck. I'm wondering is it too late to invest in an oil catch can or let it out to pasture until it dies?

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello folks,

Just reading and catching up on the stories, it pretty much applies to all Expy's from V8 to EcoBoost's. I haven't read all the posts but wondering how about the ones for the high mileage Expy's? I have a 2008 Expy Limited with minor engine MODS (if you consider a K&N reusable air filter) with over 220K original miles, and stringently change the oil every 5K with Bosch Distance Plus oil filter and Castro GTX semi-synthetic oil (additional info, if it helps). The usage of this Expy is short to long distances (5-100+ miles per day, sometimes), from local grocery shopping, hauling a 21ft boat to minor off-roading. I only have one vehicle and this is a well-pampered truck. I'm wondering is it too late to invest in an oil catch can or let it out to pasture until it dies?
I'd say the general consensus is a catch can isn't needed on a NA V8. Does it help, sure, but not a have-to.

Look at it this way: you have 220k on your truck. Whatever you have been doing is working; keep doing it. Lol

maxxplatinum9137

Reaction score
Hello folks,

Only really needed on a 15-17 expedition or anything with a gen 1 6 speed v6

OP
OP
LokiWolf

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Only really needed on a 15-17 expedition or anything with a gen 1 6 speed v6
Incorrect. Technically a Catch Can is a plus on any motor. It prevents gumming up and oiling of the intake. Became especially advantageous with DI motors, because there was no fuel washing of the intake, yet there was still heat, so the oil became solid deposits.

Even with the PI(Port Injection) added back to the 2nd gen 3.5TT EB motors, it is not the same as a strictly PI motor. The washing is not consistent, and the PI injectors are not always in use. I have seen images of the 2nd Gen motors, and while the deposits are less for the same mileage, it is still a VERY inexpensive and easily installed prevention device.