Catch cans anyone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmachinist

Reaction score
I am wanting to put a catch can on our 19 expy. Who has experience with them?

Searching the forum JLT comes up but it only cleans the passenger side.

I have a friend that runs an elite manufacturing one on his gmc and he’s happy with it.

A local ford tech recommended the UPR. Thinking of going that route but it’s the most expensive....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought a UPR one for mine.

They are probably not *needed* on the gen2 EcoBoost but it doesnt hurt.

Dakota4ce

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Same, I thought they mixed the injection mechanisms on this last gen to help with the problem....

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The catch can only goes on one PCV hose on the passenger side. Regardless of the 3.5 "improvements" a catch can benefits all engines with PCV systems.

OP
OP
M

mrmachinist

Reaction score
I ended up ordering the UPR kit. I’ll get it installed once it arrives.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know several brands ie car makers made changes to breather and fuel systems when this issue was discovered 10ish years ago. It was a easy fix in future versions I don’t know of any current auto makers with this issue it was solved. But if you want go ahead and run one. Do you to do it on a 2018-2020 vehicle not really.

OP
OP
M

mrmachinist

Reaction score
My buddy runs an Elite Mfg can on his GMC 6.2L. He got about 3oz out of it in 2500 miles. He got me researching these things. My tundra has almost 100k miles so if it was going to get caked up it’s already done. But the new Expy has 600 miles right now so I’m going to run one and see what it does.

The ford master tech at my dealer fully recommended running one for what it’s worth.

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you emptied it yet? If so, how much sludge did you have in the can?

After my oil change I emptied it... Mostly a watery consistency came out. Maybe 2 or 3 ounces. This was only after being installed on the expy for 3k miles.

I have had it on for another 4k now but haven't emptied yet. I can report back after my next oil change.