CCM damage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scott Hunter

Reaction score
I have a 3+ week old 2019 Expedition XLT with the 202A equipment package. I started getting Pre-Collision sensor warning a week ago. Got into the closest dealership today. The diagnosed it as CCM damage and told me to take it back to the dealership we bought it from. What could cause this damage? The truck has 340 miles on it after almost 4 weeks. We drive on city streets only, no big dips, bumps and no off roading.

Adaptive cruise control doesn't work (obviously). Can I turn that off and still have regular cruise control? The service advisor told me this is a new sensor for Ford and it is extremely sensitive - that just towing or placing my wife's mobility scooter on a platform that attaches to the hitch (about 250 pounds total) is enough to skew the sensor and cause it not to function. If so, it's pretty worthless to me.

Here is a pic taken by the diagnostic tech.

Damage to CCM.jpg

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 3+ week old 2019 Expedition XLT with the 202A equipment package. I started getting Pre-Collision sensor warning a week ago. Got into the closest dealership today. The diagnosed it as CCM damage and told me to take it back to the dealership we bought it from. What could cause this damage? The truck has 340 miles on it after almost 4 weeks. We drive on city streets only, no big dips, bumps and no off roading.

Adaptive cruise control doesn't work (obviously). Can I turn that off and still have regular cruise control? The service advisor told me this is a new sensor for Ford and it is extremely sensitive - that just towing or placing my wife's mobility scooter on a platform that attaches to the hitch (about 250 pounds total) is enough to skew the sensor and cause it not to function. If so, it's pretty worthless to me.

Here is a pic taken by the diagnostic tech.

View attachment 32000

Sounds like the closest dealer is telling you a story about towing affecting the dynamic cruise control and collision warning. The sensor is built into the front bumper on the passenger's side. Any chance an impact occurred in that area since you've owned the vehicle (parking lot, etc)? It may be hard to prove it was an existing damaged item when you bought the vehicle, but your original dealer may goodwill something for you since it's so new.

Bill Van Den Acre

Reaction score
Is the sensor on the passenger side or drivers side? Have a 2018 and the manual states it is on the drivers side -I am getting the adaptive cruise warning message and the precollision warning message both at the same time. Manual says it can be due to dirt/dust, etc on the camera( behind the rear view mirror) or the sensor ( driver side fascia plate near headlamp). Dealer has not seen it yet, just started this weekend so going in next week. Seems odd both warnings come on at the same time, and I noticed the auto dimming headlamps don't work when those warnings come on. If it is a sensor, hoping it is not outrageously priced.

OP
OP
S

Scott Hunter

Reaction score
I only had the precollision message, but the cruise control wouldn't work, either - it apparently needs the precollision sensor. The dealership told me they think mine was damaged when it came off the transport truck and they swapped it out for free. None of the service techs had ever seen damage like that. The part is surprisingly small - about 3 or 4 inches square. The module on mine was on the drivers side, too.