What year should I try to get?

• 2017 loaded

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • 2019 basic

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Older than 2017?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Elissa

Reaction score
Hey all, I’m wondering if you would be able to help me. It looks like I can afford a 2019 basic expy or a 2017 loaded... what would you recommend? Also, I’m wanting to tow, so, if I did get a 2019 I would want to be able to tow but it’s super hard to find vehicles with the tow package.. would you recommend a 2017 instead? I don’t want to get the 2018 because I don’t want the first roll out of the new gen.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
17 basic XLT..... more proven reliable throughout the years IMO. Older ones are reliable also but getting less because of age. The less bells and whistles, the less to go wrong.

Plati

Reaction score
How much money do you want to spend? What are your objectives?
Which used ones can you find? How long do you want to keep it?
Do you want the latest & greatest electronic crap like ASS?

No offense but people on here ask silly questions at times.
How could anyone on a Forum answer your question that is personal to your situation?

Definately get the HD tow

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Elissa

Reaction score
How much money do you want to spend? What are your objectives?
Which used ones can you find? How long do you want to keep it?
Do you want the latest & greatest electronic crap like ASS?

No offense but people on here ask silly questions at times.
How could anyone on a Forum answer your question that is personal to your situation?

Definately get the HD tow

well, I would think a forum dedicated to this model might have insight into if 2017 or 2019 would be more reliable...

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What trim is the 2017, loaded could mean xlt 202, limited, kr or platty? Towing would be the least of your issues, both tow the same amount very well as long as you have the tow pkg. The 2019 will have a higher payload capacity though. I owned a 2009 nav and 2018 expy limited without ccd, But have driven a 2017 expy with and without ccd so here are my thoughts.

2017 pros and cons:

Pros - reliability(projected) less items to break and the 6sp is bulletproof, ride comfort (ccd) if you get a platty, more usable cargo room(boxy design makes it easier to use cargo space), price, load leveling option

Cons - handling is a bit loose/soft, ride without ccd wont be as good as 2019 without ccd, not as much passenger space or comfort, empty fuel economy(not towing, fe is nowhere near as good), interior design, feature content severly lacking, condensation issue with eb

2019 pros and cons:

Pros - ride comfort, better handling, better fuel economy empty, a lot more passenger space, way more feature content(xlt 202a with tow pkg will give you adaptive cruise, lane keep, collision detect, and convenience features without opt for less reliable features), reliabilty(if you stick with xlt, the 2018 ltd i owned had gremlins but was mostly bulletproof).

Cons - leaky shocks(biggest issue with 4th gen without ccd), tow fuel economy, design hampers rear cargo(more space behind third row, but the cargo entrance and area is narrower by comparison), price and availability(tow pkg 4th gens are unicorns), no load leveling opt, cam phaser issue on eb

Id research the different forum threads here because there are plenty of user experiences and data for both 3rd and 4th gen trucks. I personally enjoyed my expy more than my nav, but do wish i got a platty or expy or navy instead of the ltd i ended up with. Both will meet your towing need, so Drive both and see which you personally enjoy more. However if you budget is about 45k, go look for 2020 xlt on discount, ppl on the 4th gen thread are seeing 12k+ savings on new trucks. That way youd get a new truck thats now reliable(noone in their 2020s are rele complaining about problems), with new warranty and way more available with what you personally are wanting in your truck.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you get a 19, be sure it was built after April 8th. Dodges the cam phaser issue. Maybe.

lscrx

Reaction score
Before buying our 2019 Max XLT we looked at a 2017 EL Limited... and it could have just been that the 2017 hadn't been well maintained, but it was a big disappointment. The power liftgate sounded like it was on its last legs, the heated/cooled seats didn't seem to work, and the handling felt loose. We went directly from that test drive to a different dealership that had a BASE 2019 Max XLT with <30k miles on it and it drove SO much better. I don't have any of the fancy features because it's a 200a, but I don't care for adaptive cruise control, and less to break is always a plus for me. The 10-speed in the 2019 is a big improvement IMO, it works really well with the torque of the 3.5 (a lot better than the Explorer with the same transmission). I would get the newest Expedition with the lowest miles you can find in your price range, then you have the option of buying an extended warranty if needed... something I'm considering doing for mine.

uberdog

Reaction score
I had a similar decision to make when the 2018 models were just coming out. To avoid the bugs and issues of a completely new design I went with a 20017 Limited with HD tow, 3.73 rear, load-leveling shocks, etc. 3 years later I am very happy with 2017 and saved about $18k by going with the older model. So if you are towing and doing truck stuff, the 2017 and HD tow and 6 speed are stout truck. If you want adaptive cruise control, more creature comforts - the newer model is better provisioned.

Likely I will trade up to the 4th gen when more of the bugs are worked out and *anything* manufactured during COVID is long gone.

Ed Fogle

Reaction score
[QUOTE="dlcorbett, post: 409175, member: 47862"]

Cons - leaky shocks(biggest issue with 4th gen without ccd),[
/QUOTE]

what is ccd?

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
[QUOTE="dlcorbett, post: 409175, member: 47862"]

Cons - leaky shocks(biggest issue with 4th gen without ccd),[
/QUOTE]

what is ccd?

Ccd (continuously controlled dampers) is the optional adjustable suspension ford has that they added to the expedition for 2015 to current. They added it as a way to keep the ride smooth with 22in wheels after nixing the problematic air suspension(not rele). Its worth the addition as ford tuned it very well compared to the base springs, gives you options for ride comfort, and they are more durable than the base springs.