Compression test 01 Navigator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What did you expect-a gal to crawl out from under a hood with a perfect manicure?[emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
They held on by pressure only, no fasteners. If the top end is starved of oil, too heavy oil is used or over reved, they can come off. Was it interfering with valve on the bad cyl? Just put it back on. Make sure the roller is not damaged.

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They held on by pressure only, no fasteners. If the top end is starved of oil, too heavy oil is used or over reved, they can come off. Was it interfering with valve on the bad cyl? Just put it back on. Make sure the roller is not damaged.

There was no compression on that cylinder.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Check the valve spring. If it broke, would explain the compression loss and the roller coming off. Can you see if the timing chain is tight. That's another problem with these motors. Bad tensioners

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check the valve spring. If it broke, would explain the compression loss and the roller coming off. Can you see if the timing chain is tight. That's another problem with these motors. Bad tensioners

I will check the spring and chain. I did feel the chain yesterday and it seemed tight, but I will look again.

I was wondering what would make the roller come off.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Girl, here's a great video on installing these in a later model 5.4. Probably the same with yours. It explains what this is all about. As was said, you'll want to use some heavy grease on this to protect them when the motor starts up and you want to check that valve spring to look for a break in it... A broken valve spring is one cause of them flying out. Also make sure the roller spins freely and there are no chunks out of the cam or roller. The tool is about $20 - $30 and makes the job easier by compressing the valve spring.

Do your homework if you have to replace a broken spring. There are a few tricks.

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you for the video! You guys make it easy-i don’t have to search for videos and wade through ones that don’t help!!