Compression test 01 Navigator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A telescoping magnet is your best friend for dropped wrenches or bolts/nuts. I've got 3 of them, in different sized magnets. Life savers. Just think how easy other cars will be to work on, after this job.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

I have a telescoping magnet and have used it a lot on this project. However, I couldn’t find the little gear wrench with it. Maybe I’ll have better luck tomorrow! I was thinking the same-every other job will seem like a breeze after this!

This will give me more confidence to tear into my old Powerstroke. It needs a few things done (nothing major I hope) and I’ve been putting it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use one of those small super bright led spotlights
(black and decker brand currently) to look for things the cars "eat"! Then the magnet to get them.

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use one of those small super bright led spotlights
(black and decker brand currently) to look for things the cars "eat"! Then the magnet to get them.

Great idea. I have one of those-I’ll bring it to the garage. Thanks!

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got another intake bolt out and broke another one free. They are getting even harder to get to for sure. The one I have nice and loose I can’t shove my hand in far enough to remove. I ordered an XL ratcheting wrench with flexible ends with 8mm on one end and 10mm on the other end. I think that will work to get the one out that is loose. I think I know where the last one is but I can’t see it. I fished a 1/4” 10mm socket with a u-joint thing and some extensions to see if I could get lucky and land it in the bolt. Instead it fell apart. Now I need to get a flexible magnet. My straight telescopic one won’t go where it needs to go! I’m glad we now have a harbor freight nearby. I found a handy tool today that worked pretty well getting a bolt out.

48c61382d0800d23f517c424d479aa47.jpg

So I only have one more bolt to break free and one loose one to remove and I should finally have the upper intake off! I have no idea how I’m going to get the bolts (new ones according to the manual) back in.[emoji2370]

Atman246

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One of my tricks is getting a super strong rare earth magnet about the size of a pencil eraser and sticking it into some runner hose. Very flexible and you make it as long as you need. Are we having fun yet? I googled pics of a 99 Navigator 4.6l.. Looks nasty to work on,good luck.

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One of my tricks is getting a super strong rare earth magnet about the size of a pencil eraser and sticking it into some runner hose. Very flexible and you make it as long as you need. Are we having fun yet? I googled pics of a 99 Navigator 4.6l.. Looks nasty to work on,good luck.

That’s a good idea. I glued a round disc magnet onto some parachute cord. I’m going to test it out in a few minutes.

It’s a 5.4 32 valve Navi and definitely seems nasty, but I love the old navigators!!

Atman246

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry,my bad. Even worse that it's a 5.4l.. As long as the body isn't rusted out like we get up here in the northeast,then it's all worthwhile. Keeps us posted. I'm super stoked that it's a busted spring. Can't wait to find out. No pressure...Haahaha. Good luck girl,make us proud.