Compression test 01 Navigator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Woohoo-my machinist just called me with great news. He said the valve looks totally fine and it just popped out of the seat. He is going to clean everything up and pean the seat so it won’t happen again. He said I should buy a lottery ticket today!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, that's what you do with lawn mowers but I didn't know they did that on auto heads. As long as this is an actual machine shop and they know what they're doing you should be good to go. When I do on a mower always check them to make sure they seal properly but they often do go right back into place just perfectly. Sometimes I even lap them to help seal.

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes-it’s a small machine shop, but a real one! The owner is well known and very respected around here. He is very talented and honest and fair.

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I’m going back through the service manual checking to see which bolts I can’t re-use. I know I need new intake and head bolts. I haven’t checked through everything yet to see if I’ll need others as well. I’m replacing all gaskets.

I also just now saw where it says to keep track of where the lash adjusters came from as they need to go back in the same place. Oops. I just pulled them out and put them in a container with the roller followers. Will this be an issue? My manual is for the 04 and this vehicle is an 01, but I assume they are the same in most applications. What if new ones were installed? What would you do in that circumstance?

I tried to follow instructions for the most part, but apparently I didn’t read this part.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I reuse intake bolts all the time with no issues.
Head bolts have been torque to yield for decades so you have to replace those.
I think the intake and exhaust valve lash adjusters are all the same. The idea is to put them back on the same surfaces they were before so whatever wear patterns are the same but it's never been an issue. It's not like the old days where you had a lifter that rode on a camshaft that you did not want to switch over to another lobe.
These are all roller style anyways and in reality it won't make any difference.
So as long as the intakes aren't different from the exhaust it won't matter. Like on a 2 valve where they're all the same, you could take them out and mix match them and put them all back in and it wouldn't really make any difference. It's not going to wear out a camshaft or something because these are rollers.

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Phew-thank you. I’ll have a look at them tonight to see if the exhaust and intake are the same. If not, I’ll figure out which ones are which. Thanks again!

Where is the best place to find the bolts I need? I think I’ll replace intake bolts too-I would really kick myself if I had to rip this GD thing apart again!!

I’ve been finding Tasca is a great place for parts-do any of you order from there?

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The intakes pretty easy to remove but I've never had any problems. I just put new gaskets on and I don't even torque the intake bolts with a torque wrench. I just tighten them up for the nice and snug but it's always smart to check everything with the torque wrench. I certainly do everything by the book for head bolts.
Last time I bought head bolts was at my local parts store but prices have been going up there a lot locally. People quote a lot of good prices from Tasca.

Atman246

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey there,just checking in to see what's happening. It's been a while since we heard anything,and I know it's gotten cold out so,i'm not surprised. Just sayin' hello.

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey there,just checking in to see what's happening. It's been a while since we heard anything,and I know it's gotten cold out so,i'm not surprised. Just sayin' hello.

Hey there-thanks for checking in! My navigator project will be on hold until spring.
1. It’s too dam cold in my garage!
2. I just bought a place and I’m working on it before I move in (in the spring), so that is keeping me pretty busy. Not to mention snow removal at 2 properties. Luckily my new place is close to where I am now.

The head is all ready to go back on when I get around to it. I’m pretty excited about moving to a place with a bigger garage! I plan on insulating it and getting a wood stove in there so I don’t freeze when I need to work on something in the winter.

Atman246

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Congratulations on the new place. That's awesome. I know how you feel about working in the cold. It's a balmy -22c here this morning and i'm very happy to have a heated garage to work in. I worked too many years laying on the cold ground or cement and it gets to your bones. Good luck with the new place and keep us posted on the Nav.