Compression test 01 Navigator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Way back when I had all my hair, I tackled my first rebuild of sorts. My 56 VW bug. It was in 3 boxes. A complete idiots manual, which was for someone stupider than I. I just kind of faked it, matched new parts with old, IE, main/rod bearings, piston rings, etc, and viola, old Herbie came to life. That 36 horse motor ran for 2 years. Would go longer, but a guy offered a 40 horser already to go for $75.00. Our girl, were breaking her in the hard way! It's like learning to drive a 4 speed 435 horse big block 67 vette. After you master that, a Automatic Navigator is a walk in Golden Gate park!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
FordTechMakuloco did a youtube video(type-modular rattle), of a 4.6l 32v intech, with a bad timing chain/tensioner. He tears down the entire front of the motor and removes the oil pan. It will give a good idea, what your dealing with. Your engine may have the same issue. besides the compression problem.

I’ll have to check that out. I like his videos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The only hard part about the valve cover is getting the stuff on and above it out of the way. Give it a good looking over and remember that the cover has to lift up and over the valve train under it, so you need some clearance. Take some photos of any hoses or other stuff that can get confusing when it's time to replace, especially if you are leaving it off overnight.

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I had a little bit of time today so I started taking valve cover bolts out. I got 6 of them so far and removed the power steering reservoir bracket. I see that big tube that lays over #8 is going to have to come off and maybe a few other things. I’ll be able to get back at it hopefully Sunday.

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I don’t have the valve cover off yet. I am slowly removing things in the way and labeling everything so I can put it back in the right spot! It’s slow going when I have to keep looking stuff up and searching YouTube, but I’ll get it.

I did pop in my cd for the 04 that I got from Bob and there is a section on the 32 valve for removing the valve cover (which apparently requires removing upper intake manifold). Since my cd is for an 04, I wondered about my other 2 Navigators. I assumed my old 99 was the 2v and my 04 was the 3v. I did a little digging around about the 8th character on the VIN numbers (which specifies the engine), and now I’m pretty sure they are also 32v. That must be a Lincoln thing.

I also discovered as I was removing the front tire to get at the EGR tube that this thing has a theft proof lug on each wheel (aftermarket rims) with no tool that I could find anywhere in the vehicle. I finally got it off but it sure did take some extra time and swearing. Then I had to pick up a nice big 1 1/4 wrench (who doesn’t like a reason for a new tool-amirite[emoji51]). The tube came off without too much trouble (probably wouldn’t have been the case if this beauty had been driven around here in the salt)!

I remove a few things each night after work so I think I will actually be able to get that valve cover off this weekend.

I took off the throttle body last night because it looked like it needed cleaning anyway. I’ll pick up some CRC Throttle Body Cleaner to take care of that.

ff710b841bc83e3eeb15befb466a148a.jpg

I wanted to post an update so all of you helping me didn’t think I gave up! I can’t thank you guys enough.

Atman246

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yup,that definitely needs a cleaning. I'm wondering out loud though if you should spend any time and money on cleaning the throttle body when you have bigger issues to deal with. Why clean it if you have to end up possibly replacing the whole engine? I know that you can always transfer to the next engine if needed. Just my two cents. Still here wishing you good luck in the teardown. Can't wait to hear the final findings.

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you got that EGR tube apart, I want to see what you look like. Any woman who can do that is quite a woman.

Well I got the bottom part off-not the top yet. It wasn’t hard since the vehicle hasn’t been driven in salt and isn’t rusty. Im used to stuff that’s rusted so bad it has changed shape and size!!