Cupholder fell through console! Weird!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

rob4092xx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Turns out to be an easy fix even though I didn't do it. The service writer at my dealership did it in the Service Entrance Lane. He pulled up the center console (only tabs hold it in), and put everything back in place, Took him less than five minutes and no tools. Try lifting your center console up (takes a few jerks to release the tabs) and look underneath. He said it is easy to see how to put it back together. Told me he has seen this many times on the Expy. BTW....warranty will not cover it!

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Turns out to be an easy fix even though I didn't do it. The service writer at my dealership did it in the Service Entrance Lane. He pulled up the center console (only tabs hold it in), and put everything back in place, Took him less than five minutes and no tools. Try lifting your center console up (takes a few jerks to release the tabs) and look underneath. He said it is easy to see how to put it back together. Told me he has seen this many times on the Expy. BTW....warranty will not cover it!
Dang, wish you had some pics or videos. When you say pull up on the center console, the entire unit or the plastic that surrounds the cup holder (with the gear selector, etc on it)? Seems like some of us could really ***** some stuff up just pulling up on parts. There no way the entire assembly is just clamps, since I've already removed screws in the console to do the storage compartment work.

Also, same procedure for the platinum vs. say xlt? Can't recall if they both have the little door that hides the cup holders.

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Limited & Plti's have the door that hides the cup holders. XLTs have a slot & 2 exposed cup holders

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think the bottom is held up by the 4 side fingers that hold the cups in place.

OP
OP
R

rob4092xx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
He pulled up the entire panel that the gear selector switch, cup holders, etc., fits in.

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Turns out this is probably not the disaster you think. In my case, the damage was that all the plastic pins that hold the bases onto the two cup holders had broken, and the clear plastic "light guide" had broken in half.

I've repaired mine - mostly. 2 things might still go wrong for me:
- I used "Clear Gorilla Glue" which I now believe is the wrong product to glue ABS plastic. Find something specifically for ABS if you do this...
- The dealer seems to have removed the clear elastic band that holds the cup fingers in place (grrrrr). So I daisy-chained some standard elastics, but those deteriorate quickly. I ordered a 3.6mm/0.14" diameter surgical tubing to replace them when they break. https://www.amazon.ca/Emerald-Replacement-Shooting-Slingshot-Catapult/dp/B0725C4GQH

Here's the walkthrough for those who would rather not pay the dealer:
1) Open the console, and pull up on the rear of the front console cover at the bottom of the "leather". The clips are made to pull up fairly easily, so you shouldn't have to pull really hard. Once the clips let go, slide it backwards to get the front clear of the dash.
2) Disconnect the 5 (at least in my case) connectors (Gear Selector, Drive Mode, 2 x LEDs for cup holders, and the secret key compartment thing).
3) Carry it (and all the loose pieces) to a convenient spot, and remove the 6 screws holding the cup holder assembly to the console cover.
IMG_4886.jpgIMG_4889.jpg
4) Might as well clean everything at this point.
5) Arrange the light guides and the cup holders - ensure the secret key thing is going to end up in the front cup holder. There is a foam block on one side of the cup holder assembly (seems to hold the elastic in place) - on my console it was on the centre side of the cup holders when installed, as opposed to the passenger side edge. I test fit everything to make sure I wasn't ******** up.
6) Glue the bottoms to the cup holder assembly on the side tabs. I used paper clips and clamps to apply pressure and let them sit 4 hours.
IMG_4891.jpg(Photo taken before I added the paper clips to clamp the side tabs together)
7) Run the elastic(s) through all the guides so that the fingers are in the right place.
IMG_4895.jpg
8) ***** the assembly back on the cover.
IMG_4897.jpg
9) Plug everything back in and slide it under the dash, and push down on the back to reseat the clips.
10) Forbid everyone from forcing large heavy water bottles into the cup holders... :)

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dang, wish you had some pics or videos. When you say pull up on the center console, the entire unit or the plastic that surrounds the cup holder (with the gear selector, etc on it)? Seems like some of us could really ***** some stuff up just pulling up on parts. There no way the entire assembly is just clamps, since I've already removed screws in the console to do the storage compartment work.

Also, same procedure for the platinum vs. say xlt? Can't recall if they both have the little door that hides the cup holders.
This is what the cover looks like from the top - I believe it's functionally the same for all the trim levels (i.e. you remove it the same way).
IMG_4884.jpg
No screws holding it in place!