Display audio track on gauge cluster screen?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On mine, I can press the “M” button on the steering wheel and it will cycle through the sources. This includes preset sets FM1,2,&3 and AM 1,&2. Then use the right and left arrow to go to the exact preset.

I don’t believe that option is available on the navigator. The real limitation is that you have to separate out your favorite preset stations by source instead of just having one master favorite preset list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
1) Display in gauge cluster only displays audio track when using carplay - I get NO audio/media info in our 2020 Limited(Sync 3.4 20021) gauge cluster. It annoys me, because it was on our 17. That Gauge cluster give me WAY more info about the Truck itself vs the 17, so in general happy.
2) preset station list cannot have multiple sources. - This is a feature of some of the newer vehicles. I have the feature on my Explorer but not my Expy. Really honestly is not a big deal for me. I expect that either we will have an update that allows it, or somebody will figure out the FORSCAN for it. Please give feedback to Ford.
3) Cannot navigate from one preset screen to the next via steering wheel controls - Some people don't want this. I do not want to scroll through all my preset pages. I want to stay on the 6 I have selected.
4) No wireless carplay - This is hardware limited, not software in most cases. The wireless chipset has to be a certified chip from Apple. Exactly the same issue as the hubs in some 2016 vehicles. They had to be swapped. Not easy to swap a wireless chip though.
5) no weather app once you plug in phone - Use weather app on phone, more info, more accurate
6) no ability to use native nav once carplay is activated - That is by design. Same for Carplay and AA. Honestly this makes no sense. The reason to attach CP or AA, is to not use Native Nav. Not aware of any OEM's implementation that allows Native while they are attached.
7) no ability to sync rear seat climate like you can passenger climate - Makes sense, I just remove rear control if I want control.

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1) Display in gauge cluster only displays audio track when using carplay - I get NO audio/media info in our 2020 Limited(Sync 3.4 20021) gauge cluster. It annoys me, because it was on our 17. That Gauge cluster give me WAY more info about the Truck itself vs the 17, so in general happy.
2) preset station list cannot have multiple sources. - This is a feature of some of the newer vehicles. I have the feature on my Explorer but not my Expy. Really honestly is not a big deal for me. I expect that either we will have an update that allows it, or somebody will figure out the FORSCAN for it. Please give feedback to Ford.
3) Cannot navigate from one preset screen to the next via steering wheel controls - Some people don't want this. I do not want to scroll through all my preset pages. I want to stay on the 6 I have selected.
4) No wireless carplay - This is hardware limited, not software in most cases. The wireless chipset has to be a certified chip from Apple. Exactly the same issue as the hubs in some 2016 vehicles. They had to be swapped. Not easy to swap a wireless chip though.
5) no weather app once you plug in phone - Use weather app on phone, more info, more accurate
6) no ability to use native nav once carplay is activated - That is by design. Same for Carplay and AA. Honestly this makes no sense. The reason to attach CP or AA, is to not use Native Nav. Not aware of any OEM's implementation that allows Native while they are attached.
7) no ability to sync rear seat climate like you can passenger climate - Makes sense, I just remove rear control if I want control.

Thank you for confirming these limitations. Sometimes I feel like there must be workarounds but there aren’t. :-(

Good thought on providing feedback.

Regarding weather...even if there were an on screen weather app for carplay (there isn’t) it wouldn’t mean that elimination of the native app isn’t a limitation.

I like having a radar map on the screen in the winter to see where the rain/snow line is when I’m heading to the mountains in the winter.

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Because bluetooth barely has the bandwidth for audio much less anything else haha...

Well AAC is a pretty robust codex for audio but for maps you’re right, it would likely need something with more bandwidth.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well AAC is a pretty robust codex for audio but for maps you’re right, it would likely need something with more bandwidth.

Just would like to clarify. There is a difference between the codeC used on the device side and what used to send and receive the audio on the Sync Side. Sync 3 supports AAC, and SBC in its basic BT audio profile. For example AptX and some other higher quality codeC's get downgraded to most likely SBC in a BT Audio stream with Sync 3. In addition, AAC streams are typically limited to around CD quality when BT is involved.

That is why people always say to plug in your phone if you want the best sound quality. The quality can double in some cases because of that hard wired connection.

AKentPhoto

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Robust is subjective... It definitely sounds better than the sorry excuse of an audio source known as Sirius/XM. People spend many thousands on nice audio systems in their cars and wonder why it doesn't sound any better than every other car with sat radio... Garbage in will always be garbage out.

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just would like to clarify. There is a difference between the codeC used on the device side and what used to send and receive the audio on the Sync Side. Sync 3 supports AAC, and SBC in its basic BT audio profile. For example AptX and some other higher quality codeC's get downgraded to most likely SBC in a BT Audio stream with Sync 3. In addition, AAC streams are typically limited to around CD quality when BT is involved.

That is why people always say to plug in your phone if you want the best sound quality. The quality can double in some cases because of that hard wired connection.
So Loki,

Like, are you normal in other ways? How do you know all this stuff?!?!?