Expedition Limited vs Platinum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

3rd Expyowner123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On the net, google 2018 Ford Expedition brochure. The Ford Brochure does a nice job of showing the differences between the XLT, Limited and Platinum. I will mention of few items only available on the Platinum- The Ceramic Interior color, Real Wood insert on the console, additional stitching on the interior door panels and seats, if you elect 4 wheel drive, the front tow hooks are chrome plated versus black, The luggage rack corner brackets are metallic colored versus black, the exterior mirror top sides are metallic colored versus body color painted and the Platinum has active noise cancelling via the stereo system. With noise cancelling, it seemed quite strange, that at idle I could not hear the engine running. Test driving the car on a windy day, I did not perceive the interior to be any quieter with active noise cancelling, although it could be quieter, testing with laboratory instruments.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are massaging seats standard on platinum?
Yes.

And the extra chrome on the platinum is all satin chrome (with the exception of the tow hooks which are actual chrome). I’m not trying to being pedantic, but its a good look not at all like a bunch of plastic chrome crap.

(No offense if you’re into a lot of chrome...my F150 has the chrome package and it looked great. The satin chrome on the Expi just looks much more understated and elegant...IMO.)

DogDad

Reaction score
I chose the Limited for the sole reason of getting 20” rims vs. 22”. I will drive it on beach in the sand and 22” just don’t do well...20” are bad enough. I didn’t think to ask if there was an FX4 version of the Platinum.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I chose the Limited for the sole reason of getting 20” rims vs. 22”. I will drive it on beach in the sand and 22” just don’t do well...20” are bad enough. I didn’t think to ask if there was an FX4 version of the Platinum.
Welcome to the Forum DogDad.

MonkeyBrains

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No FX4 version of Limited or Platinum. Although, it gains you nothing really other than the crappy skid plates. There will presumably be much better aftermarket options soon. I agree on the want of 20” wheels, but the CCD suspension is too good to pass up and comes with the 22” wheels. Thinking about getting some 20’s for mine.

For what it’s worth, my Limited came pretty fully loaded. I was going for a Platinum, but then found this one and jumped on it. Essentially I saved myself $3600 over a Platinum (comparing MSRP) and the *ONLY* thing the Platinum has that mine does not is the nicer leather seats and accent trims with nicer leather and wood. Has some more chrome/ satin chrome on the exterior too, but overall I like the look of the front grille on the Limited over the Platinum. Oh, and you get the vibrating massage deal on the seats in the Platinum as well, if you like that, but I personally think it’s terrible and stupid at the same time. I’ve got the CCD, 360 camera, LED headlights, B&O upgraded sound system, rear cargo management, etc.. If I would have found my preferred color choice in Platinum I would’ve done it (Magnetic with ceramic interior) but I ended up with my second color choice (Ingot silver on Ebony).

They tune the engine a bit differently on the Platinum and it can squeeze out a few extra HP under ideal conditions on 93+ octane fuel. Have not felt I need that and will probably chip/tune mine anyway at some point.

Saw a Navigator Black Label one not long before finding my Limited. Wow... Would have gone that route, but would have had to order and wait and it would have been $28K higher MSRP, and probably more like $33K vs. what I paid because they told me straight out they wouldn’t budge on pricing for the Gators. Yes, the interior was seriously nicer, but not $28K+ nicer... Not even $7500 nicer, IMO, or at least not to me. Limited is already too nice when considering what two teenage kids, their friends/team mates and our 3 large dogs will do to this vehicle over the next few years... Already scuffed my right rear wheel on a rock on its first camping trip. Really want to get those 20” or even 18” wheels before the next camping trip.

Fordman1979

Reaction score
After driving the Chevy Tahoe and Ford Expedition, we are set on the Expedition. Now for me it was no comparison as I am a Ford guy and I didn't even want to drive the Tahoe, but the vehicle is for my wife so that's why. I was surprised my wife picked the Expedition because she has never fit comfortably in a Ford, but she loved the expedition.

After pricing them out, we decided to build a Limited with almost every option. The MSRP came to $72,209. I don't the need for the Platinum as I can get everything I need on the Limited. The Platinum interior is nicer, but not worth the extra money in my opinion. The dealership i'm working with is taking $5,209 off with possible incentives added when we take delivery, but that will be determined by Ford at that time. Looking forward to driving it when its done.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the biggest difference between the two is.......

Platinum=Big Pimpin
Limited=Baby Pimpin

Edizzle kids, but he’s not wrong.

If you get the Limited with the 202a, other than massaging seats, better leather, overall better interior, active noise cancellation, brushed aluminum instead of chrome, and MOAR POWR, the only difference is the platinum badge...you’re paying to have the best and to let everyone know. Otherwise we’d all either buy limiteds or de-badge our platinums.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69