Expedition Limited vs Platinum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rcompart

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Best is subjective. Showing off or making sure people know I’m doing well isn’t my style. My profession dictates I don’t get vehicles with light colored interiors. I couldn’t find a way to order the platinum with the ebony headliner and pillar covers. That trumped the message seats. After a couple power adders and tuning, everything else different between the two is just cosmetic and trivial in my opinion.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Best is subjective. Showing off or making sure people know I’m doing well isn’t my style. My profession dictates I don’t get vehicles with light colored interiors. I couldn’t find a way to order the platinum with the ebony headliner and pillar covers. That trumped the message seats. After a couple power adders and tuning, everything else different between the two is just cosmetic and trivial in my opinion.
Yup, I think we're saying the same thing. If you have a reason not to get one or the other (like you with the headliner/pillars) then that tells you which one you're getting. Otherwise, choosing the platinum is choosing to pay more to get a platinum, because you CAN get almost everything that comes with the platinum on other trims with the addition of some aftermarket tweakery.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you're buying to impress other people, wouldn't you buy a Denali? Around here nobody knows what an Expedition is, and if they do, the assumption is that you bought an Expedition because it was cheaper than the Tahoe. It's only with the 4th Gen that Ford gave up on the "value-priced-leader" and decided to actually try and build a better mousetrap. It'll take years for public perception to catch up...

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you're buying to impress other people, wouldn't you buy a Denali? Around here nobody knows what an Expedition is, and if they do, the assumption is that you bought an Expedition because it was cheaper than the Tahoe. It's only with the 4th Gen that Ford gave up on the "value-priced-leader" and decided to actually try and build a better mousetrap. It'll take years for public perception to catch up...
I think we're getting a little off the track I was trying to head down...

I bought the platinum because the interior was awesome, end of story. I would have preferred the Navi because the interior is awesome-er, but didn't want to afford the additional payments.

I also didn't really want the Lincoln because I work in the oil and gas industry and occasionally have to go out to well-sites...a Lincoln gives an impression a Ford does not. At the same time, however, there are aspects of my job in which it is helpful that I look like I know what I'm doing and get paid accordingly. In other words, the Platinum Expy is a nice balance between driving an "every man's" Ford while still driving something luxury. And Denalis are a dime-a-dozen in the Dallas area and no-one looks twice or realizes they are anything different than a Tahoe or a Yukon.

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lots of interesting comments here
Was in Missouri on company business for 10 days
drove several Escalades (2017 & 2018) Models & a couple loaded Denali's
I just purchased a 2018 EXPY
It is an XLT with a bunch of options
Has the tow package with the 3:73 axle ratio
Now I do not want to raise a furor here but my EXPY is so much more refined when it comes to throttle response & overall drivability.
The GM vehicles were always down shifting & upshifting for every little hill encountered on I-44. Way too much engine noise when they do
My EXPY will just stay in 10th gear for similar hills encountered here in Arizona &is much quieter
No Comparison in my opinion
Can't believe that anyone who drives both of them would not pick the EXPY
JUST SAYIN!!!:emotions34:

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i get more comments on the Expy than almost any other vehicle i have ever had.

proeasy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lots of interesting comments here
Was in Missouri on company business for 10 days
drove several Escalades (2017 & 2018) Models & a couple loaded Denali's
I just purchased a 2018 EXPY
It is an XLT with a bunch of options
Has the tow package with the 3:73 axle ratio
Now I do not want to raise a furor here but my EXPY is so much more refined when it comes to throttle response & overall drivability.
The GM vehicles were always down shifting & upshifting for every little hill encountered on I-44. Way too much engine noise when they do
My EXPY will just stay in 10th gear for similar hills encountered here in Arizona &is much quieter
No Comparison in my opinion
Can't believe that anyone who drives both of them would not pick the EXPY
JUST SAYIN!!!:emotions34:

Bingo, drove GM and Ford side by side, the GM shifted way too much and the roar of the 6.2 gets old.

MonkeyBrains

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Same here, drove both a Yukon XL Denali and Expy Platinum Max extensively before deciding on the Expy. And it was the hands down winner. Ended up buying the Limited as I found the one that had everything on it I wanted. Dealers were not cutting much for deals when I bought, not around here. Could have scored a better discount, and lower MSRP to start, on an XLT, but that didn’t tick all the boxes for me.

Like edizzle, I get lots of comments/compliments on the Expy. Most think I’m driving a new Tahoe/Yukon/etc.. until they look a bit closer and see the Ford oval. Most people seem pleasantly surprised and friends and family, as well as one guy I was chatting with at Home Depot who’s ready to trade off his 6+ year old Yukon, were all pretty impressed seeing the interior on the Expy. Overall the Expy was just more refined and updated vs the Yukon Denali. Drove better, handled better, shifted better. All pretty surprising to me since they share the same transmission, nearly identical magnetic suspension and other similarities. Ford has done a truly excellent job here. I do think it’s going to take a while for market perception to shift and for the new Expeditions to become more recognizable. ...My neighbors across the street bought a new Escalade earlier this year and I’ve rode in it. It’s nice, but suffers all the same as the Yukon, just more refined interior. They spent a good bit more than I did on my Expy and even though it has nicer leather, maybe a bit nicer than Ford has on the Platinums, but IMO not as nice as the ‘gators, i just don’t like it as well.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has anyone compared the expy or navi to any other competitors before buying?

PhrogPilot

Reaction score
Has anyone compared the expy or navi to any other competitors before buying?

Yes, compared it to the Suburban. We occassionally have the need to put adults in the 3rd row. Simply cannot be done with a Suburban. I climbed into the back of a Suburban, sat down and immediately experienced severe claustrophobia with my knees jammed to my chest. I can sit comfortably in the third row of an Expedition.