Expedition Limited vs Platinum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I didn't consider the GM products seriously even though Suburbans outnumber Expy's here by a large margin. I did read the reviews, though, and Consumer Reports rates the Expedition at 65, vs 53 for all the GM products. A pimped up interior doesn't interest me, I want a car that works.

I test drove a Limited, so was a bit disappointed with the interior on my XLT. But nice door panels and dash isn't worth $10K to me. Mine's Plain Jane, no panoramic roof, which means more headroom and higher roof rack weight capacity, 18" wheels instead of 20" or 22", for a better ride and less vulnerability to damage, etc. For me it was the right choice, despite the fact that cost isn't an issue for me.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The only direct competitor i driven was the armada, its a nice piece but seemed kinda old after a complete redesign. The ride was amazing, matched my navs ride and was quieter and bolted nicely however it felt more cumbersome. Didnt drive a tahoe since pops has an escalade. Not a fan of the lux version so i knew i wouldnt like the mainstreams. Sequoia wasnt an option, but still kinda interested in how they drive. Liked the durangos space premium feel and uconnect. was interested in them and tried to get one but that didnt work out and ended up with my nav. they are very common now and havent changed much in nearly a decade(good for them to offer such a competitive product that age). We loved the mazda cx9s looks and how refined it was but was severely lacking third row room and space. The xc90 looks fantastic to me, to the wife not so much and after the driving the cx9, we both felt the price was high and didnt drive as luxurious. We ordered the limited because the pricing on these 18s is a bit much now admittedly. We drove a 17 plat and loved them, i kinda figured the 18 would improve on its driving characteristics with the base setup. Wife wanted to get the 302a, shoulda listened but i wasnt even planning on getting the 301 and actualy was leaning toward the xlt max. Couldnt get the b&o there and wifey really wanted the moonroof so i moved up. After driving the plat model in md after we ordered, wife wanted one bad so we tried to find one in texas during a family visit, no dealers had one during our 6 days there. Funny as soon as we got back(drove back sat, arrived back in de sunday, got phone call monday) we were told they had a plat we were looking to purchase. Anyway the plat did have the feel i was looking for but i love my ltd. When my lease is up, unless they bring back the king ranch or a mono sport pkg for the ltd i plan on buying it out.

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back to the original question on this thread...so are these the only features that are NOT available on Limited:
  • massage seats
  • a little more leather, wood, chrome,...
  • noise cancelling
  • more HP

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think so. There is a lot of aesthetics you're grouping in to "a little more leather, wood, chrome..." (light colored headliner, different leather wrapped steering wheel, quilted leather on the doors, satin chrome and aluminum accents and mirror caps instead of regular chrome, body colored running boards instead of magnetic, etc.).

But yes, I think those are the only mechanical differences.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think so. There is a lot of aesthetics you're grouping in to "a little more leather, wood, chrome..." (light colored headliner, different leather wrapped steering wheel, quilted leather on the doors, satin chrome and aluminum accents and mirror caps instead of regular chrome, body colored running boards instead of magnetic, etc.).

But yes, I think those are the only mechanical differences.
Oh, and swagger...you don't get the Platinum swagger with the Ltd.

(This is a joke ladies and gents)

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No king ranch but the 19 is bringin 2 new pkgs to the ltd models, one a sport monochramatic pkg, another a regular pkg with the new wheels, and all xlts will have the 8in touchscreen.

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No king ranch but the 19 is bringin 2 new pkgs to the ltd models, one a sport monochramatic pkg, another a regular pkg with the new wheels, and all xlts will have the 8in touchscreen.

Also, don't forget about the Stealth Package! It sounds sweet. All blacked out, everything, wheels, chrome, everything. And "EXPEDITION" lettering across the hood. BUT it's an Limited only option, which i why I was asking what am I giving up getting a fully loaded Limited (priced around $80k) vs. a few dollars more for a loaded Platinum.

I want this blacked out version!! So may have to compromise down to "only" driving a Limited, lol.

tim mcleod

Reaction score
Also, don't forget about the Stealth Package! It sounds sweet. All blacked out, everything, wheels, chrome, everything. And "EXPEDITION" lettering across the hood. BUT it's an Limited only option, which i why I was asking what am I giving up getting a fully loaded Limited (priced around $80k) vs. a few dollars more for a loaded Platinum.

I want this blacked out version!! So may have to compromise down to "only" driving a Limited, lol.

WOW, a stealth package. close to purchasing 18' platinum. now the stealth package option has my attention.
do you have any more info ? website for pictures ?
thanks
tim

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disappointing there is no King Ranch, I like that trim package a lot better than Platinum esp on the pickups.

Last edited: