Regular vs. Max

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frugala

Reaction score
I had a 2015 EL, and upgraded to 2021 regular this year. There were maybe a handful of times during those 6 years where I "needed" the extra room. But for those few times, I could have solved it some other way (trailer hitch rack for example). Now I chose the shorter length so I can put it in the garage, and VERY happy about that now. :)

night vision

Reaction score
Max all the way. I have the EL version of the 2017 in a Limited configuration. While it's 15.5 inches larger than my 2004 Expedition Eddie Bauer, it's TOTALLY worth the extra space.

I hate to use mine for my business of hauling materials from hardware stores to my rental properties, but I can fit so much more in depth wise than my 04.

You'll be happier with the longer one. It's nice.

PNWExpy

Reaction score
Seems like most on here prefer the max version.. I definitely second guessed myself a bit but ultimately I’m happy with the standard. Although the small gas tank is disappointing. With two kids and a dog there are times when the extra space would be nice but for 95% of our trips it’s not a problem. I chose maneuverability over extra space. In town and parking lots my expy is borderline better than my civic. And we do a bit of mild overlanding so the short comes in handy here too.

baseballdad1137

Reaction score
I bought a standard and wish I would've gotten a max. 3 kids and lots of baseball gear in the back has proven to be a challenge so far. Currently looking at trading in for a Max. I really should've checked it out during the 3-day return period my dealership offers, so it's going to cost me if I end up trading.

TSieler

Reaction score
Have you checked out the bench in the second row? We have 5 kids. Access to the third row is a breeze. The second row has plenty of room and feels like you’re sitting in captains. We can also have an adult sit directly next to the baby with easy access. Having that configuration would allow you to have all three kids in the second row and your dog in the third down the road.

LyoddChrissmiss

Reaction score
Said before. Parking in the garage is tops. Unless you enjoy always washing and drying your car.
Sure MAX is nice, but you won’t need it.

Pawpaw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Our kids are grown and bought our regular length for my daily driver. Sold the F350 dually I drove for 4-1/2 yrs and the Expy feels like a sports car! Love the ride and fuel mileage also. If I need to haul anything long I'll hook up to my 14' utility trailer. Love this FX4 so far. IMG_6207.JPG

VBreithaupt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We have 3 kids and a dog and grandpa just moved in? Have any aging parents? I had a tahoe for years and it just never seem to have enough space. Moved to Suburban and loved the extra room. It was a piece of crap and I dumped it. I have the Max now and I seem to always use the space up. I always felt for the minimum difference in gas mileage why not go with the bigger and not have to put a carrier or hitch tray on. I say make sure your insurance is up to date and drive your current car through the front of the garage and do a little up grade on the repair to fit the MAX. Ha!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65