Expedition Max vs standard size

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Armin

Reaction score
Late to the party, but instead of asking max vs normal, get the bench seat. I have 3 kids and that is what matters far more. Three adults fit in a row, so you can then fill the back all to the roof. Double strollers, baby beds, baby chair, etc. It all fits.

Also, of course no disrespect, but just as buying a bigger house because you have too much stuff doens't work as you'll just buy even more stuff, if it doesn't fit in a freaking Expedition, the size of the car is not the issue. :D

My sister in law lives in Europe and takes their tiny cars on multi-day road trips with 3 kids and nothing on the roof. Tents, baby bed, etc. All in there. Just pack light and more efficient. Most of the stuff we bring is convenience. So I'd pick max vs normal based on garage size, price, good deal you may get and like I said get the bench seat.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Late to the party, but instead of asking max vs normal, get the bench seat. I have 3 kids and that is what matters far more. Three adults fit in a row, so you can then fill the back all to the roof. Double strollers, baby beds, baby chair, etc. It all fits.

Also, of course no disrespect, but just as buying a bigger house because you have too much stuff doens't work as you'll just buy even more stuff, if it doesn't fit in a freaking Expedition, the size of the car is not the issue. :D

My sister in law lives in Europe and takes their tiny cars on multi-day road trips with 3 kids and nothing on the roof. Tents, baby bed, etc. All in there. Just pack light and more efficient. Most of the stuff we bring is convenience. So I'd pick max vs normal based on garage size, price, good deal you may get and like I said get the bench seat.

OR you can buy a Max with rear buckets and allow your passengers to be comfortable! lol.

cfldad

Reaction score
If you have infant carseats and rear facing toddler seats the back row is blocked off. Tilt and slide works fine for older kids and forward facing seats. We stuck with buckets so the older boys had a chance to get in the back row. (Infant seat out of cradle allows tilting)

I have had my boys go through the rear hatch over the backseat before, lol. Was easier than pulling out little ones.

Craig Payne

Reaction score
I know we're 10 pages in so this post will probably get the same visibility as the things that show up on page 8 of a Google Search, but I figured I'd lend my voice to the crowd, and to be honest, I made it to about page 3 before I jumped here to contribute, so keep that in mind.

The Max is worth every possible trade-off in my opinion. Granted, we're a family of 6, though one out of the house now so you could say 3 kids and that they could technically fit 3 across a bench, though I've done that before and it was far and away not an enjoyable traveling experience. Especially since we tend to take very long cross-country road trips. I just know that I personally would want more space then being 3 across in a bench so I'm really not surprised my kids feel the same way.

The other issue for me is that I came to the Expedition from a minivan which could fit 3 rows of people and had 33 cu. ft. of space still behind the 3rd row, which was already a bit tight, so I was specifically looking to match or exceed that moving into the Expedition.

All in all, +1 vote for the Max.

Armin

Reaction score
OR you can buy a Max with rear buckets and allow your passengers to be comfortable! lol.

Well no.

While it certainly is a benefit for adults and larger children to have captain/bucket seats, a non-Max with the 3rd row folded up will have more storage than a Max with even just one of the seats in the 3rd row in place. That is what I was referring to. If storage is your main concern, having a full 2nd row is what is far more important than the few inches the Max provides. Doesn't mean a Max is not a good choice, but it is of secondary importance.

The OP has only young children with a 3rd on the way. By the time they are large enough that they outgrow child seats and boosters and a bucket seat has a benefit, you are years further and thinking of your next car. Unless you want the 3rd row for somebody else than your children hence you are better off with a full 2nd row, regardless of Max or not.

Whether you want a Max or not, then is mostly a matter of price, size, the larger gas tank and likely what deal you can get on a specific model.

That is what I was trying to convey.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65