Expedition vs Navigator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just watched a Moab Kolab rescue of a Navigator stuck in rotten snow off the beaten path. The Navi didn’t have any front recovery hooks, they had to strap to a front A arm to drag him up a hill and out of the rotten snow. I wonder if the Expedition front recovery hooks can be fitted to the Navi?
It’s got recovery hooks just like the Expedition but they are behind a piece of the bumper that pops off. I’ve used mine to tie my canoe down before I got the under hood straps.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If they say it’s in perfect condition then have them give you a top dollar trade-in number for it. Then trade it in for a new expedition and be done with it. You like the expedition better anyway so there’s no reason to have this headache on your hands. Just my opinion. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly, I'd never buy an electric powered vehicle at this point. I'd probably just drive south for an older rust free unit and call it a day.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just watched a Moab Kolab rescue of a Navigator stuck in rotten snow off the beaten path. The Navi didn’t have any front recovery hooks, they had to strap to a front A arm to drag him up a hill and out of the rotten snow. I wonder if the Expedition front recovery hooks can be fitted to the Navi?

Here I expected that was maybe "my" navigator in that video! lol

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the new expy is electric?
Lol
Hybrid is different than full EV / electric.
My hybrid Plugin Fusion was gassed up once in 13 months thanks to COViD and having a 12-18 mile EV range. I would take a Plugin Hybrid Expedition with that EV range every day over my current dino only burner. Full EV truck? No! Given it would be rubbish for road trips.

CharlyG

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My son just sold his 2004 Nav and picked up a 2017 Explorer. The Nav was heavy(at least 1000 lbs more than an Expi IIRC), and expensive to drive. Way more hassle than an Expedition(F150) in our eyes. I just downgraded from an Excursion(F250) to an Expedition and I am loving it!

That's our experience for what it's worth...The Explorer(it's now unI-body, which doesn't sound good to me for a TV) is not a valid tow vehicle in our eyes either, FWIW.

I could be w-w-w-r-r-r-rong...

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My son just sold his 2004 Nav and picked up a 2017 Explorer. The Nav was heavy(at least 1000 lbs more than an Expi IIRC), and expensive to drive. Way more hassle than an Expedition(F150) in our eyes. I just downgraded from an Excursion(F250) to an Expedition and I am loving it!

That's our experience for what it's worth...The Explorer(it's now unI-body, which doesn't sound good to me for a TV) is not a valid tow vehicle in our eyes either, FWIW.

The 2018+ Navigator is a light weight. For example my 3rd gen Expedition EL scales in at 6,300 pounds empty. An 18 Navigator is only 5,700. The 3rd gen Expeditions are probably the heaviest passenger vehicle rolling down the road. Lots of steel in these. Even a Suburban is 400 pounds shy. The spread in the Navi and Expedition isn’t that much, maybe 300 pounds.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score

The new Explorer is now a rear wheel drive platform like the original the prior generation is actually a front wheel drive platform.
The latest Explorer is rated higher in load capacities than the prior versions. Its a nice machine bit snug on interior space tho. Due to the fold in floor useless 3rd row it competes with my old Subaru Outback on hatch opening size which sucks if your buying a SUV for hauling ability lol. All the SUVS with the fold down 3rd rows took a huge hit to gear hauling capacity. I miss the old leave 3rd row home when you need gear space.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
White tricoat just like my Expedition.

Its crazy that you can buy a Ford with the same color options as the Lincoln. Cadillac doesn't share their white with the Yukons, so to get the white Tri coat you always had to buy the Cadddy instead of the GMC. (not sure on the 21+ now tho)
White diamond, only available on Cadillacs

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 2018+ Navigator is a light weight. For example my 3rd gen Expedition EL scales in at 6,300 pounds empty. An 18 Navigator is only 5,700. The 3rd gen Expeditions are probably the heaviest passenger vehicle rolling down the road. Lots of steel in these. Even a Suburban is 400 pounds shy. The spread in the Navi and Expedition isn’t that much, maybe 300 pounds.

A 4wd 2021 suburban is over 6,000 lbs

https://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/vehicles/suburban/2021.tab1.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk