More appealing exterior design vs reduced interior space

• I would love to have a better design and can do with a little less space

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • I would like to have a better design, but not sure about space

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • I use every inch (or mm)

Votes: 6 75.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

metaldrgn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
new exterior design vs interior space

Would you prefer a more appealing exterior design in lieu of interior space? Mainly I'm just talking about the sides. Maybe just around 2"-6" from each side.

Last edited:
OP
OP
metaldrgn

metaldrgn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The design would be for both regular and el so you could have more space. I would say more people than not don't need all the space anyhow even with the regular version.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought an Expedition because I wanted a truck. I've owned smaller more stylish SUVs (3 different Mercedes ML350's '03,'06, '09). There are plenty of those kinds of vehicles Ford makes the Expedition, the Explorer, and the Escape, not to mention the Flex. I don't see Ford doing major surgery to the Expedition when it already has plenty of smaller models to choose from.

High Desert

Reaction score
I'm much of the same mind as Andy. I bought the Expy primarily as a replacement for my old F-250. I like the amount of cargo space and room it affords passengers, it's great for our needs. I have already filled it to capacity more than once. I went with the Expy over other SUVs because of the size (and that it's a Ford). The "utility" part of Sport Utility Vehicle is important for me.
A great looking exterior is always good, and it's current styling suits me fine. Wouldn't want to give up any of its functionality. Now the wife is looking at Escapes as a possible new runabout that would be easier on gas when the extra room isn't needed.

Last edited:

Sierra Lima1470

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The design would be for both regular and el so you could have more space. I would say more people than not don't need all the space anyhow even with the regular version.

It's not about what I need. Its about what I WANT. This is the United States, less is not more. Less is less, and more is never enough!

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I rather interior design...exterior would be bigger wheel wells...other and that something like the new navi would be great

Holy Rollerz Christian Car Club (HRC3)

OP
OP
metaldrgn

metaldrgn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I rather interior design...exterior would be bigger wheel wells...other and that something like the new navi would be great

Holy Rollerz Christian Car Club (HRC3)

Funny you should mention that. I too, at one point, wanted larger wheel wells for larger wheels so it had a stock height look with large wheels. My first reverse engineering/redesign 10 years ago encompassed just that:

Expytry2-05b_zps7f05c354.jpgExpytry2-20b_zpscc945fc7.jpg

I believe those tires are 35s I put in there. Obviously not complete. I've since changed some of the angles of the hood, but I see where I could have done better and not going to finish that model. It served it's purpose.

About a year later I started reverse engineering the surfaces of the first gen durango while also adding more of my own touch as you can see here:

Dodge_Durango_remake_by_MetalDrgn_zps15c246d6.jpg

I went to a stock size tire with 18" rims and added a lot more design to the body that I had in the past. I hadn't cut the door lines yet since I was still working on the body design. I've stopped working on it for the same reason as the other model, I got what I needed to out of it.

I've learned so much and have gotten so much better and with it I see how lacking the designs are today. They could really be so much better. I'm also glad this is the dawn of 3d printers and affordable product production because it helps me want to stay focused on designing.

Last edited: