Front hub and IWE actuator replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rwmorrisonjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Need to replace the left front hub and IWE actuator since I'm getting the grinding noise from the actuator being semi engaged and the hub assembly is starting to make noise. Since I need to tear everything apart, I have a question about which way to go.

Should I replace the existing IWE actuator so the front drive line disengages in 2WD mode, or should I replace the vacuum driven actuators with permanently locked ones, eliminating the vacuum driven system and making it simpler?

I also need to replace the vacuum hose assembly to the IWEs.

I'm currently driving with the vacuum system disabled and haven't noticed a huge difference in mileage or drivability. I'm also not impressed with the vacuum driven IWE system as it seems to be a more complex solution to a simple problem. Also, since the 4WD system is always delivering some power to the front driveline due to the clutch-driven transfer case, even with the system in 2WD mode, there doesn't seem to be a lot of additional wear or drag on the system.

Here's what I'm considering for the hub replacements:

1: Hub and IWE assembly: https://www.1aauto.com/2011-14-ford...FsTvuY-Gms89ifUvHaWgKNCcM-M0-d-UaAj2DEALw_wcB

2: Hubs only: https://www.1aauto.com/2011-14-ford...xnibMj60TiqcpYbi6Ej9sxCv6cS7j-OMaAnf2EALw_wcB

Here's what I'm considering for the IWE replacements: https://www.stage3motorsports.com/I...ptor-4WD-RCV-Ultimate-IWE-Eliminator-Kit.html

Any thoughts on additional wear with using the IWE eliminator kit? I'm looking for long-term simplicity and durability so I don't need to tear the front end apart again for a long time.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't do it! They designed that for a reason, it's like those people that wimp out and lock their cam phasers, don't ruin your truck!

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
07navi, thanks for your input.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?
Locking those in will lessen MPG and HP plus add wear to front diff parts. Some will disagree but I would never do it. That project is not hard to do compared to a Superduty or Excursion.

Last edited:

Dustin Gebhardt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd try to stay with the factory system. When my IWEs began acting up, I traced it down to a vacuum line leak. I fixed that and it's been great ever since.

07mustangman

Reaction score
Had to replace my vacuum hose assembly from solenoid down to both hubs. Ordered hose from Ford. Direct replacement. Solved my problem. Good luck.