Headlight weirdness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

taaangy234

Reaction score
After reading all through these 11 pages, I feel like I should have spent the extra $10k and got the limited with LEDs.
Will be attempting to improve the headlights after the Expy goes in for some warranty stuff.

Retrofit is a better option and best performance for your $$$ than spending additional 10k for all those extra functions you don't need which why most of us are settled for an XLT. TX is a great growing state, you can check https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/ see if there's any professional retrofitter in your areas. I had done a bi-xenon RX-350 + STI-R Clear Lens pair with Osram CBI then went with Morimoto XB35 retrofit on my Subaru with great result. They are crazy bright, wide and stunning cutoff blinker. If you can do it yourself, you could be spending less than $500 sorting the parts on sales date. But if you were to get a retrofitter do it for you it's still cheaper than buying a pair of LED headlight still not the best performer against retrofitting.

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Perhaps I missed the earlier discussion, but why can't folks get some factory LED headlamps from a wrecked '18 Limited or Platinum and bolt those in? Is that a complicated swap? I have a 2017 XLT with halogen reflectors and it's really easy to swap those for factory projector lamps that are standard in 2017 Limited models. That's something I plan to do when I have time (and of course I have to acquire the parts).

taaangy234

Reaction score
Not an easy swap, since the wiring plugs are different and not standard. You'll need to trace and slicing wires to make it works.

LED Headlight
s-l1600.jpg

XLT Halogen Headlight:
xlt1.jpg

xlt2.jpg

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gotcha. To me, wiring is usually the easy part (as long as you can get a "pigtail" to go with the new component, if not then a custom connector may have to be fabricated but I've done that before as well). As long as the new part can physically bolt in without major modifications, that should make it a straightforward swap. Things get really complicated though when you need a new module and/or reprogramming of the truck. Hopefully that's not the case here?

Breaker

Reaction score
Apparently, even if you do get a pair of the oem led headlights, you still have to take the truck in and have Ford reprogram your computer. That is what everyone has been saying anyways.

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Figures!! These days even the most basic upgrade is always somehow tied to a computer module and/or software. LOL

Breaker

Reaction score
And not to mention, expensive!! I looked up from Ford how much the led headlights are, atleast here at our local dealers, $1600 each, with an $80 core charge. Aint ever doing that!

taaangy234

Reaction score
I had tried installed HID with Relay hardness and now running LED. Both option the automatic headlight doesn't work, when I had my HID in automatic mode, and as the sunset and darken my light would not turn on. During daylight I experiencing it flickers my HID, so I had to manage the light manually before it kill my HID system. I switched it to LED now, no flickering but it just stays on during daylight.

Reaction score
I had tried installed HID with Relay hardness and now running LED. Both option the automatic headlight doesn't work, when I had my HID in automatic mode, and as the sunset and darken my light would not turn on. During daylight I experiencing it flickers my HID, so I had to manage the light manually before it kill my HID system. I switched it to LED now, no flickering but it just stays on during daylight.
What HID kit did you use? I'm looking at the Morimoto system. Talked to a sales rep and he said all the stock functions would work just fine with their system. I'm hoping that's true.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Breaker

Reaction score
I didn't think a Morimoto setup was out yet for our Expeditions? Or are you talking about just Bulbs?