Help with power running board replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tru3anomaly

Reaction score
I need to replace a power running board on my 2018 expedition. There is nothing wrong mechanically, the previous owner just beat the hell out of the chrome on the drivers side and I want to replace it. The dealer says that they can only get the entire assembly and not the step by itself and that it must be painted, however online I have found several outlets that offer just the step in black. For example: https://www.carid.com/ford-oe/running-board-mpn-jl7z16490ba.html#features

It is my understanding that the limited package comes with black running boards and the platinum comes with paint to match running boards. Dealer quoted me $1k to replace so I am thinking about ordering the above part to see if I can just switch out the step itself since it is half the price.

It looks like the endcaps are separate parts and what I am wondering if anyone has experience doing something like this. Are the endcaps welded or glued on? Car is at the shop so I can't go out and investigate at the moment. From what I can tell they are just screwed on, and the step itself is just bolted to the arms and motor assembly. Thought I would ask before ordering the replacement. Thanks.

Sunflowergirl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I need to replace a power running board on my 2018 expedition. There is nothing wrong mechanically, the previous owner just beat the hell out of the chrome on the drivers side and I want to replace it. The dealer says that they can only get the entire assembly and not the step by itself and that it must be painted, however online I have found several outlets that offer just the step in black. For example: https://www.carid.com/ford-oe/running-board-mpn-jl7z16490ba.html#features

It is my understanding that the limited package comes with black running boards and the platinum comes with paint to match running boards. Dealer quoted me $1k to replace so I am thinking about ordering the above part to see if I can just switch out the step itself since it is half the price.

It looks like the endcaps are separate parts and what I am wondering if anyone has experience doing something like this. Are the endcaps welded or glued on? Car is at the shop so I can't go out and investigate at the moment. From what I can tell they are just screwed on, and the step itself is just bolted to the arms and motor assembly. Thought I would ask before ordering the replacement. Thanks.
If it’s anything like the 2016s, I have experience. I had to either cut or move mine back to fit my 35s. The end caps are held on by set screws and they pop off pretty easily. In addition, there are 3 screws underneath the step that run in a track the full length of the step. If you loosen these, the step will move back and forth. In your case you should just be able to remove the screws completely and take the whole running board off

OP
OP
T

tru3anomaly

Reaction score
If it’s anything like the 2016s, I have experience. I had to either cut or move mine back to fit my 35s. The end caps are held on by set screws and they pop off pretty easily. In addition, there are 3 screws underneath the step that run in a track the full length of the step. If you loosen these, the step will move back and forth. In your case you should just be able to remove the screws completely and take the whole running board off

Thank you so much for the info. It is probably the same. I think it is worth the chance. Worst case is I pay the return shipping.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmdunham2