Hitch ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aka rotten

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wife bought a hitch off craigs list for her 2000 expedition and it came thit no bolts,has 6 holes on hitch,does anyone happen to know what size bolts i need for this and are they special in any way? This is like a reece hitch and i hafta also get pc that slides in 2 in hole and ball.Thanks

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think they have to be grade 5 (hardened) since my '97 and a few years after had a recall on all the hitch-related bolts.

jrjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
+1 on grade 8. You must have some old bolts kicking around. Try what you have till you get a snug fit and just take that with you when you get the new ones. Sloppy is not acceptable. Get nuts and lock washers too and measure what you need for length. 1 1/2" - 2" should do it.

OP
OP
A

aka rotten

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks guys,being an old geezer i was tryin not to craw up under vehicle to measure bolt but i recen i gotta do it.I am going to have son mount hitch for me and i wanted to have everything ready for him,so i,ll measure tom. mornin and go to napa to get bolts,Again thanks for help.

homer169

Reaction score
I got my hitch from a junkyard and for some reason I remember there being 8 bolt holes. I believe the hardware I got was 3/4", but don't quote me. Lock and flat washers are a must. I used grade 8 and I've towed a 7000lb trailer without any issues so far.

2000eb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
try taking my hitch off lol. most of my hitches are welded on. i can weld pretty good but a friend did my hitch on my bronco he started off his welding shop doing custom hitches and he made me one that looks like a factory hitch and i guarantee my motor will jump through my grill before that hitch gets ripped off the frame.

nsperf

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You want to use Grade 8 bolts on this particular component

Besure that not only is the bolt grade 8 but the washers and nuts are too.

I recommend the locking grade 8 nuts. They have a small nylon insert to keep the nut from backing off.

My recommendation for installing these is as follows

Use a washer on bolt, insert bolt, use second washer on opposite side.

Use a drop or 2 of red loctite, install locking nut and tighten.

If you want to use a torque wrench gor about 150 ft lbs or using the regualr ratchet and bar method go with the 1 grunt method

I then for giggles cover with paint or bed liner just to help keep corrosion down.