How to add remote start using forscan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, the keys came with batteries.
Thx, I received my keys today. I'm going to try and get them cut tomorrow, and then mess with programming followed by FORSCAN enable remote start option.0f6644ff5a1fb9bcf0b038e56830a504.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well no luck today. I tried 3 places, they either can't or won't cut the key! I will have to wait till Monday to try some other places.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well no luck today. I tried 3 places, they either can't or won't cut the key! I will have to wait till Monday to try some other places.

What sort of places did you try??

A locksmith or Pop a lock should do it no problem.

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Most lock smith's around here are closed today. I believe pop a lock is just mobile, and I don't wanna pay there service call fee.

I went to a couple hardware stores, that just had the automatic machices. Then Zettler hardware, where they could cut them manually but said it was against store policy unless the fob was purchased from them, for liability reasons? I asked if he would turn the other way and let me use the machine for 5 mins, lol. Hopefully when the locksmith shops are open Monday it won't be a issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Okay I was able to get the keys cut today. Ran through the programing as described in video. When I put the 1st new key in and turned to on, the doors auto locked and unlocked? Second new key I received a error, something about next attempt start would be disabled! So I started over again and just tried the original 2 keys, followed by the 2nd new. No error this time but no lock and unlocking? Both new keys will start the truck, but the buttons on fob don't work?

So I went to the my key menu in the dash. It ran through a programing mode, acted like it was good, but still no unlock or lock from new fobs. Now when I put that key in, it will tell me speed is restricted to 80mph?

I didn't bother to try to enable remote start since the door's wont even unlock. I don't understand how the keys worked, if there not programed, and if they are why won't it lock and unlock doors? Are these not really secure keys? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got it to work! I had to do the off on cycle key 8 times method and then they programmed. So then I went to forscan enabled remote start, and Wallah I now have remote start for $48!

Edit: it seams the lock unlock works from a distance but the start does not! So I guess the Amazon discount fobs are not the best, unless there is some tweaking in FORScan that may help?

2nd Edit: Tried the lock unlock for distance, was able to work 5 houses away. Then I tried to see how close I had to get to activate remote start. And it seamed to stop working??? I went back into forscan, looked for the as built module from the video in this thread, and I don't seam to have it.

So I continued to mess around, I found in the ipc plain English version the option to enable the remote start dash display. So I enabled it, but couldn't locate it anywhere in the menu?

Also the few times the truck did remote start, it was blacked out meaning no dash or running lights. The heater fan however was on max defrost, even though controls were set to off? I seen the option's in Forscan to enable the stuff under the hvac plain English, all mine were and are disabled.

After awhile I gave up and restored my modules back to the way they were. I did this because the idle seamed to be irregular for some reason. I certainly hope that goes away.

Last edited:

hawkman71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Am I hearing that all Expeditions have the remote-start module in place and it's a matter of accessing/enabling it using Forscan?
If not, how do I find out if my vehicle has it?

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Am I hearing that all Expeditions have the remote-start module in place and it's a matter of accessing/enabling it using Forscan?
If not, how do I find out if my vehicle has it?

IDK about all Expeditions, but my 2017 did. I still think we may need the antenna for better performance, but I'm not sure where they plug in. In the video on the 2012 F150 above, I don't see the same setup on my Expedition.

I purchased the key's from the Amazon link in this thread. Then had them cut at Ace hardware. Then I had to do a 2 step programming method, 1st one programs the key to the ignition, 2nd programs the fob for the locks. I originally had some issues trying to figure out the remote start, like it worked a few times, then I couldn't get it to work at all! Since then I figured it out. If I hit the lock button 1st then 2X's start it will fire right up! The park lights do light up, but everything inside the truck is blacked out. Even the tachometer doesn't register? even if my hvac is set to off, after auto-start the defrost will come on max fan. I'm amusing the heat is on max too, but idk for sure.

Unlike other remote starts I've had in the past, if you get in the truck and hit the brake, it won't die. I tried engaging the transmission, but it wont unlock while remote started. I haven't tried messing with other stuff yet, while truck is remote started with out key in, like radio volume, changing heater options ect...

Last edited:

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wife’s Highlander has factory remote start.
I can unlock the car from a whole lot farther away than the remote start will work.
I think they do it on purpose so some reason.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ImWearingPants