Intake Manifold Removed....Now What? (2014 EL)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

71Rcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Agree 100 percent. Like many of you I grew up in a frugal, simple household but am blessed today to not have to live that way (although we choose to do so).

I learned long ago to buy the best tools one time and use them for life. And to go the extra mile (preventive quality parts) when you're the one wrenching on your own vehicle (saved labor costs help justify).

Perhaps it boils down to simply taking great pride in my wrenching abilities in keeping our vehicles is good as new at all times.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Honestly sometimes I really think doing a job once is a thing. Timing job...will you just replace the pump or all components around it so as not to do this job again...common sense.
Not really, that's why there is that cliché; if it ain't broke don't fix it. Many parts will go 300k miles. People throw engines and everything else at cars hoping the problem will "go away". I'll save my money and fix it when it needs it..............common sense.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Not really, that's why there is that cliché; if it ain't broke don't fix it. Many parts will go 300k miles. People throw engines and everything else at cars hoping the problem will "go away". I'll save my money and fix it when it needs it..............common sense.

“An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure”

larryjb

Reaction score
I had over 50 vehicles and never had one towed.........and never fixed things that ain't broke. Part normally give you a warning before they quit. I don't consider miles on a part preventative maintenance. Also, my other truck had over 2ook miles on it when I sold it with the original coils.

I've needed three tows over 35 years.
First tow was when my fuel pump quit. No warning. I had just enough momentum to get off the road. I had less than 100000 km (maybe 60000 miles).

Second was when my water pump disintegrated across the border. Fortunately I was able to be towed back to Canada where I could fix it myself. I had no warning. No loss of coolant, no nothing. This was higher mileage, about 300000km (180000 miles).

Third tow was when a nylon coolant T broke. Again, no warning. This was about 250000 km.

71Rcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Alright my friends... 100 ways to skin a cat. All ways work.

Nothing personal and good to hear the different perspectives.

Keepinitoldskool

Reaction score
Why would he do that?
Because some manifolds come with the crossover gasket as an integral part of the manifold and not available separately. Stay away from dorman intakes if you love Jesus. Look up Ford Racing intake manifolds, that's what oem replacements are sold as.

Keepinitoldskool

Reaction score
For OP:
Spin your pulleys to make sure they are smooth and replace noisy ones. Inspect your heater hoses. Check the metal heater pipe in the valley for rust. Check water pump weep hole for signs of leaks. Knock sensors should be fine. If everything looks good, clean it up and slap new gaskets on it.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For OP:
Spin your pulleys to make sure they are smooth and replace noisy ones. Inspect your heater hoses. Check the metal heater pipe in the valley for rust. Check water pump weep hole for signs of leaks. Knock sensors should be fine. If everything looks good, clean it up and slap new gaskets on it.
There ya' go just replace what is needed.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
You are always welcome to your own opinion. Were you a mechanic by chance?

No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once.

That plus I wrench on my 1972 mercruiser, 1977 Harley, and a trusty Toro lawnmower. So I’ve learned that if you service, maintain, clean and take care of your equipment it’ll take care of you.