JLT Oil Seperator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
I installed mine installed minutes ago. I moved the wiring out of the way as the hose seemed to press on it too much. The hoses to touch and I left them that way. IMG_3583[1].JPG There was what I consider a lot of oil in the EGR hose I removed.

Had a lot of difficulty getting the engine cover back on. For starters I need a stool to get in there (and check the oil dipstick too). I think it's on straight.

Checking and emptying the can doesn't look all that convenient but I'm giving it a try after watching videos showing all the crud on the intake valves with DI engines.

-- Chuck

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I installed mine installed minutes ago. I moved the wiring out of the way as the hose seemed to press on it too much. The hoses to touch and I left them that way. View attachment 27348 There was what I consider a lot of oil in the EGR hose I removed.

Had a lot of difficulty getting the engine cover back on. For starters I need a stool to get in there (and check the oil dipstick too). I think it's on straight.

Checking and emptying the can doesn't look all that convenient but I'm giving it a try after watching videos showing all the crud on the intake valves with DI engines.

-- Chuck

Awesome Chuck!

Pictures when you empty it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It does look like a pain, trying to reach in there and unscrew it. And I think you were supposed to put the right hand hose, behind the heater hose. That way it's out of the way, when unscrewing the can to empty.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You again!!!!

Reported for trolling. Buh bye
QUOTE="07xln, post: 303028, member: 54439"]There’s guys on here approaching 100k mikes. There are guys on the F150 forums approaching double that. They seem to still be going strong. While carbon build up seems to be more premature in direct injection motors, it’s hardly caused issues for the ecoboost and been directly related to any problems. The 18 and up models take care of this with port and direct injection.[/QUOTE]

MuddySpokes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am struggling with this one. Catch cans definitely do catch stuff. And good information in this thread.

The question that keeps coming up is benefit versus actual issues avoided. Sure, the catch can will reduce crud flowing through the intake plumbing, so that is a benefit. No question there. With the observations about high mileage motors running without any observed impact from the crud, it raises the question of whether this does anything more than minimize the slime layer.

And, am not clear about whether the carbon effect is due to the type of oil. From what I had read, full synthetic should have better resistance to this. Only real way to tell is by running two trucks where one has the OE synthetic blend, the other has full synthetic, and doing a tear-down at various intervals. This will also show whether carbon build up is actually having an impact in the first place.

If anything, I might consider a catch can for removing the slower burning oil from entering the combustion chamber. But for all I know, this was factored into the process by Ford's engineers. Then again, maybe not. Having water vapor go through the combustion chamber is not all that big a deal to me as long as it does not cause hydro lock. Some people actually add water vapor to the intake stream. But, this is a different topic.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am struggling with this one. Catch cans definitely do catch stuff. And good information in this thread.

The question that keeps coming up is benefit versus actual issues avoided. Sure, the catch can will reduce crud flowing through the intake plumbing, so that is a benefit. No question there. With the observations about high mileage motors running without any observed impact from the crud, it raises the question of whether this does anything more than minimize the slime layer.

And, am not clear about whether the carbon effect is due to the type of oil. From what I had read, full synthetic should have better resistance to this. Only real way to tell is by running two trucks where one has the OE synthetic blend, the other has full synthetic, and doing a tear-down at various intervals. This will also show whether carbon build up is actually having an impact in the first place.

If anything, I might consider a catch can for removing the slower burning oil from entering the combustion chamber. But for all I know, this was factored into the process by Ford's engineers. Then again, maybe not. Having water vapor go through the combustion chamber is not all that big a deal to me as long as it does not cause hydro lock. Some people actually add water vapor to the intake stream. But, this is a different topic.
There is a you tube video showing that the valve coking affects the Ecoboost 4cyl engines more as far as causing a misfire code on cold start ups.There is also other benefits of having a catch can and that is keeping your innercooler from clogging up and decrease in fuel mileage and performance because of dirty obstructed induction system.

Last edited:

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
It will be some weeks before I have 1000 more miles on the truck and check the can. The OE PCV hose was internally saturated with oil and I plugged it with paper towels before storing it.

I can't imagine any downside to a catch can.

-- Chuck

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What happens if you forget to empty it and it stays full?
My guess, it would just be as if you didn't have the can installed. Once full the blow by would do exactly that, blow by the can and back into the throttle body.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk