JLT Oil Seperator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What happens if you forget to empty it and it stays full?
I guess there is a chance of liquid locking the engine since the cans do operate by engine vacuum and if full could possibly suck enough oil in to cause harm. With that being said, my Can hasn’t been even close to full at oil change intervals (3000 mi.). I usually don’t wait to intervals anyway. I just drain it whenever I’m messing around in garage and think of it.RXP does have a bigger can but it hasn’t really been necessary for me. My set up is super easy to drain also. I cut wheels to the left and hang cup on control arm in right front wheel well behind tire under drain tube , open hood and open quarter turn drain valve on bottom of can. I could easily drain it while filling up at a gas station if I used a plastic bottle with a lid to catch oil and take with me for disposal.59E6E9D9-86C3-4D35-A51E-4FDD6748B3EF.jpeg

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What happens if you forget to empty it and it stays full?
I guess there is a chance of liquid locking the engine since the cans do operate by engine vacuum and if full could possibly suck enough oil in to cause harm. With that being said, my Can hasn’t been even close to full at oil change intervals (3000 mi.). I usually don’t wait to intervals anyway. I just drain it whenever I’m messing around in garage and think of it.RXP does have a bigger can but it hasn’t really been necessary for me. My set up is super easy to drain also. I cut wheels to the left and hang cup on control arm in right front wheel well behind tire under drain tube , open hood and open quarter turn drain valve on bottom of can. I could easily drain it while filling up at a gas station if I used a plastic bottle with a lid to catch oil and take with me for disposal.View attachment 27389

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I received my JLt kit today. Says # 3016p / #3026p It is the black polished like I wanted. When I ordered it said 3016p-b. Anyways this kit comes with what they call a NEW design mounting bracket. Says for easier install and servicing. Well the servicing I can understand, but the install, not so much. I have yet to pop the hood to go look, as it's cold and getting dark here now. The directions even call for drilling a hole in the fender well!
a61af97d10e9ddc3243ecfe8ff6edd05.jpg62ee623df61e667ea016803b07ba1bf2.jpg

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, the newer kits mount near/in the Battery box area. There is actually a kit to retrofit the older style to this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sgt Darkness

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 18s have a newly designed fuel system that works to keep the valves clean and it works along with the direct injection system. Anyhow, no tests have been done to see if this new cleaning contraption does better or worse.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nothing super secret on the 18+. Anything with a 2nd Gen EB, like the 2nd Gen 3.5TT in the F150 or 18+ Expy has direct and port Fuel injectors. The Port are used under certain load conditions for improved performance and economy. The secondary function they have is cleaning the intake valves because the fuel helps to dissolve the deposits. The PCV System is still putting oil into the intake side, it is just there is now fuel there to help clean it off.

The 2nd Gen 2.0EB and so far the 2nd Gen 3.5TT seem to be less susceptible to the build up issue because of the additional injectors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Guys, help me to understand why you need these on this truck? No judgement here, just not comprehending why on this engine. I have 60K on my truck now and because of my SLK, I know very well that some engines need their stock oil separator replaced or added to but my stock 3.5 has never indicated that any oil is being transferred.

So, what are you doing to your engines that requires it?

jeff

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 18s have a newly designed fuel system that works to keep the valves clean and it works along with the direct injection system. Anyhow, no tests have been done to see if this new cleaning contraption does better or worse.
It may help stop the valve coking but not sure how it’s gonna stop the innercooler from getting oil logged without a collection system in place. My opinion is that I would still install a catch can. I don’t like the idea of drilling a hole in the innercooler and have it weep oil constantly ....especially on my garage floor.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Just checked and it was completely FULL to the threaded area
IMG_3909[1].JPG
3 ounces (rated capacity) in 949 miles this time. 28 engine hours (including 3 hours idling) elapsed so this is only averaging 34mph for the past ~90 days. Virginia winter weather. Cold starts. Remote starting so the baroness gets into a warm vehicle.

I expected it to be half full as it was the same mileage. Any clues?