Major changes should be made.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Blackscreen67

Blackscreen67

Born to spool
Reaction score
At 600 miles I installed EBC Yellow Pads and slotted rotors on my Expy. Big improvement in braking. It brakes so hard that I had to install Bilsteins on the front because the nose would dive so hard under emergency braking.

I have since ordered Hellwig front and rear sway bars. They are considerably thicker and firmer than the factory sway bars. They also come with poly bushings. Huge improvement in cornering.

I also run my front tires at 42psi and my rear tires at 40psi. It helped firm up the ride.

Your my new man crush Monday!

EBC is good shit. Had some last 30k on my 12klb truck with drilled and slotted ssbc rotors.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Guy read the context, the other poster was talking about bimmer brakes, and I just so happen to have one of those lying around to supply a point of reference. Now you're bringing a 16.5" rotor in the equation that uses 8 pistons per caliper lol. Really?

The expedition relies on a 13" with 2 pistons yet this would be the perfect setup for your odd choice of reference.

Screenshot_20180924_070720.png

Clearly this setup is overkill, but even a 3 piston design would make big difference in ability to stop.

i brought up the Chiron because it is as wild a comparison as the X6M!! The Chiron weighs less and has bigger than the X6M. It is all based on the design goals and vehicle purpose. The brakes on the Expy are perfectly adequate for the design and intended use of the vehicle, plain and simple, the are bigger or on par with any of the 3 or direct competitors and bigger than the segment leader!! to say they are under engineered or borderline dangerous is just flat out wrong!!!!! Im not sure what else to tell you!!

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can keep a $60k X5!! It would be underwhemingly specced for that price. a comparably equipped X5 to the platinum would be $91,550. and again, it is 1/2 the vehicle. it does not fit 5 as comfortable as the expedition much less 7.

the X7 will be $100k+ equipped. it will not have the room of the Expy.

The only vehicle in its class to have bigger brakes is the sequoia at 13.9 vs 13.8 so your complaint at how dangerously under engineered, under sized they are is simply not true!!!! hell the f250 super dutys are only 14.3, that is only 1/4" extra material all the way around!!!!

what kind of mega man cab uber diesel do you have? i wonder how big the rotors are?

all of that said, i would have totally spent another $3,000-3,500 on a Bear, Brembo, Sparta, etc. Just for the hell of it. Whats the diff between a $82,500 ticker and an $$85,500 sticker right?!?!?!?!?

If those Spartas are for sale, I would be interested in them if they were somewhat reasonable.

OP
OP
Blackscreen67

Blackscreen67

Born to spool
Reaction score
Drilled and
i brought up the Chiron because it is as wild a comparison as the X6M!! The Chiron weighs less and has bigger than the X6M. It is all based on the design goals and vehicle purpose. The brakes on the Expy are perfectly adequate for the design and intended use of the vehicle, plain and simple, the are bigger or on par with any of the 3 or direct competitors and bigger than the segment leader!! to say they are under engineered or borderline dangerous is just flat out wrong!!!!! Im not sure what else to tell you!!

560hp top speed of 180mph with 15.6" brakes 5200lbs vs. 1500hp top speed of 261mph with 16.5" brakes and an aerodynamically engineered components such as the rear wing which slow it down similarly to an airplanes control flaps.

I'm still lost even on that comparison.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
vs a 7-8 passenger SUV, 375-400hp, 120mph (?) top speed!!! you just proved my point! the ONLY fair thing to compare it to is vehicles IN ITS SEGMENT.

I am intimately familiar with the Chiron. I have ridden in one.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
absolutely incredible!!! I have never been in anything like it. I have been in MANY super cars, Ferraris, Porsches, I have a 780hp mustang, used to race SCCA. I work for very high net worth clients primarily. i get treated to a lot of perks. I have a client letting me drive a Ferrari F12 to take and pick up my daughter from school. but that was the tip top. I barely fit in it!! it was a quick blip to 100+ that was violent!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Blackscreen67

Blackscreen67

Born to spool
Reaction score
vs a 7-8 passenger SUV, 375-400hp, 120mph (?) top speed!!! you just proved my point! the ONLY fair thing to compare it to is vehicles IN ITS SEGMENT.

I am intimately familiar with the Chiron. I have ridden in one.

Chiron is nice and all Koenigsegg is more enticing to me. 8 sec diesels are most enjoyable to me, and the previously mentioned 2 can't even touch an 8 sec truck.

Moot either way, your so caught up in this concept of a comparison that never was.

Here's my bish....

20180112_233420.jpg

14.5" drilled and slotted rotors with 4 2" piston per each caliper in the front, 2 2" pistons in the rear bringing 12klbs to a halt in less than 200ft at over 100mph.

Makes 1400hp at the rear wheel with 2300ftlbs of torque. It only runs a low 11 at 12k lbs. I might know a couple clicks or 3 about speed and safety.

Last edited:

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
so you have a full aftermarket brake kit on it, including 4 piston calipers, and newly sized discs?

so your truck, stock, came with 14.2" rotors and 2 piston calipers. 12k lbs, double the weight of our rigs with .4" more rotor and can tow another 12k lbs, but you think MAJOR changes should be made for safety. GTFOH. it is ok to admit you were wrong, we wont think less of you.

i want to make sure to clarify my position here, the stock brakes on this truck are MORE THAN ADEQUATE for the vehicles intended specs, design, and usage. I would go further to say they excel at their ability to stop this vehicle. I have worked them harder than most and have experienced no fade or shimmy. 70mph down a 12% grade having to slow for a 100-110 degree turn. It has been the torture test for all of vehicles. the expedition is the only to pass it stock. every other vehicle we have had needed to be upgraded to power stop rotors and pads to not fade and vibrate.

OP
OP
Blackscreen67

Blackscreen67

Born to spool
Reaction score
Just noticed that pic was from when I ran a 10 lug setup... you zoom in and can see what it looks like to smoke through 120k mile big rig tires in less than 30k.

Went to a traditional wheel and tire combo running 35" open country RTs and shed about 600lbs off the truck.