Oil Catch Can Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bbenz3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm in FL so not that cold and still see an increase in collection during the winter months. Also note that there is often three fluids being collected: water, oil, and some fuel. I wouldn't want the water or fuel dumped back into my oil. As for emptying my can the location it is mounted makes it fairly easy but mine is on a 2011 F150 and is directly behind the grill. So I just put a small bottle under the valve and key it drain. Sometimes I have to use a handheld mighty vac to pull out the fluid if the truck isn't hot enough.

purevw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I do not. My personal choice has been Castrol Edge Full Synthetic 5W-30. However, I have read a surprising number of posts where people are using a different weight oil then recommended by manufacturer. That was reason for my question.
As a kid, I used to believe that thicker was better protection. In fact, thicker can mean higher pressure, but can also mean less volume. Anyone that has worked with oil pipelines can confirm. Thicker oil increases line pressure, but barrels per hour is reduced. Some engine components need to be flooded with oil rather than depend on high pressure. I switched my 2011 to Edge 10W-40 when I purchased it used. The vehicle tossed a roller rocker about a year after purchase. I replaced only the single burnt rocker and switched back to recommended weight oil (still Castrol Edge). I have since put 60,000 additional miles on the vehicle without another failure. I do change oil quite religiously. Just my personal experience. Take it for what it's worth.

OP
OP
R

RockyRob

Reaction score
Perfect. You are welcome to post a picture, but it is due to the cold. Do you idle a fair amount? That will typically cause it to collect more moisture.
I do not idle much. We are going to go from Northern Michigan to Tennessee this week. I will check at 250miles and adjust when I check from there. I will bring a glass jar with me so I can empty it and take pictures. Thank you all for your advice and I hope to get back to the is next week when I return.

Viper10000

Reaction score
I had a 2017 xlt with the jlt catch can. I made it a habit to dump every time I got gas. Becomes routine. I was amazed at how fast it filled, especially in humid conditions/foggy weather, and with lots of idling.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve been preaching about the Team RXP catch can forever on this forum about how it only collects oil/gasoline and let’s the water vapor through to the combustion cambers. It’s not a bad thing either to introduce water vapor into the air fuel mixture either. It actually helps with fuel atomization for a better burn. Mine has never collected a drop of water so I can wait easily to dump it every oil change. No I have no stock or connection with that company. I’m just stating my experiences with this catch can.

Alwaysthinkin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve been preaching about the Team RXP catch can forever on this forum about how it only collects oil/gasoline and let’s the water vapor through to the combustion cambers. It’s not a bad thing either to introduce water vapor into the air fuel mixture either. It actually helps with fuel atomization for a better burn. Mine has never collected a drop of water so I can wait easily to dump it every oil change. No I have no stock or connection with that company. I’m just stating my experiences with this catch can.
I looked at the Team RXP catch can and believe you when you say you have had good luck with that brand. However, it is like 4 or 5 times the price of JLT catch can. My experience with the JLT catch can has been very good. I currently live in Georgia and certainly don't have the cold conditions of the OP so my experience is different. Might be worth the extra money in cold winter states but the JLT has worked perfectly for me. Even after my 5,000 mile trip this last Aug my can was only about 1/3 full. Certainly no accumulation like that expressed by the OP @RockyRob

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If I wasn’t such a leadfoot I could try to see if there’s actually a fuel mileage advantage to burning the water vapors but that would be a very flawed study with my love affair with the boost. I’m sure someone could possibly justify the bump in catch can price in trade for better mileage. Theoretically it should help with fuel savings.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just emptied my can a few minutes ago and this is my collective total of all that I’ve caught since installed at 8,000 miles and now 42,000 total equaling about 28 fl.oz. @ 34,000 miles. I cut the wheels to the left, hang a cup under the drain hose, pop the hood, and open the 1/4 turn valve on the bottom of the can mounted on the firewall. I shove a plastic plug in the hose end when finished and close the valve on the can and shut the hood….. very simple easy.BA35C905-C1AF-48EF-B0E2-6231365255B8.jpegAC26A81D-6715-4C28-B7DD-F431971624CA.jpeg66E2D26A-5F5C-4E53-A4AA-BC92A12589A0.jpeg45EB0496-A9F4-4F9B-AC7A-3EC495AC823D.jpeg

Last edited: