Oil catch can.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dark Z

Reaction score
Hey guys, thought I'd ask if anyone installed the oil catch can since it is a very popular install on the F150, I'm not sure how similar the engine bay of the Expy is compare to the current F150, but I was wondering if anyone is planning to install it? I have it installed on my 13 F150, works great even up to this date. definitely something I would invest for the Expy as well. Thanks.

Randy Schmidt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Heard that these 2nd Gen Eco Boosts don't need a catch can like the Gen 1 engines did. I am not an expert by any means, just passing along what I have heard in the past.

JohnT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2nd Gen Ecoboost engines have both port injectors and direct injectors

The direct injectors inject fuel directly into the cylinder, the fuel never "washes" the outside of the intake valve.

Port injection happens further back in the air stream before the intake valve so a mixture of air, egr gases and fuel travels over the back of the intake valve during the intake stroke. This help clean the crud* that can build up on the back of the valve. This crud bakes on (from memory) mostly from 180C to 290c which coincidentally is the exact range an intake valve with just air passing over it sits at a lot of the time :)

So now that we have port injection, the cleaners in a top tier fuel can do their thing or even dumping a bottle of fuel cleaner works. Pure direct injection engines (Gasoline Direct Injection - GDI) don't have an ability to do this and spraying cleaner directly into the air stream to remove baked on sludge is marginally effective and in the closely coupled turbos on the Ecoboost, is likeley to destroy them due to overheat as the unburnt cleaner ignites exiting the exhaust port, down the manifold and into your turbo. According to Ford anyway.

*crud = oily gases from EGR system that deposit on the valve, get baked on just like grease on a baking tin in your oven and forms a hard carbon type material that can lead to improperly seating valves and possibly damaged valve stem oil seals.

OP
OP
Dark Z

Dark Z

Reaction score
GREAT, one less thing to worry about, thanks for the info gents. :cheers:

2Scoops

Reaction score
I was just about to pull the trigger on one of these too! Thanks for the info. Glad the 2nd gen's don't have that issue.

Andy C

Reaction score
Toyota/Lexus has been using dual port system for sometime, and I feel bit better about 2nd gen EcoBoost to have bit better reliability than 1st gen.

Catch can will only help, if you want to install, as the direct inject portion will still have the same issue. If you can reduce the contamination that gets baked on (I know it isn’t contamination but you know what I mean) intake valve, the port injection will be able to clean the valves better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just as an FYI the port injection only seems to be used at low rpm low load situations and at cold start up.

Andy C

Reaction score
Just as an FYI the port injection only seems to be used at low rpm low load situations and at cold start up.

Correct more like eco mode or cruising speed. When the power is required, it would use the DI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk