Oil Level Gauge on 2019 Expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score

People really have gotten out of the habit of checking their oil level regularly. I do it every now and then, but not nearly as often as I did back in the day.

naturally aspirated engines shouldn’t be an issue unless there is a serious problem with the engine.

turbos can be a different story: for some reason, some turbos like to ‘consume‘ oil ; catch cans catch most of it before It’s fed back into the turbos and intake. Some don’t use any at all. Don’t know why this is.

people who use an old school oil change schedule most likely won’t see any problems, but if you run a 10k before oil change schedule, it may be prudent to check once in a while.

scotthere

Reaction score
My bmw 550i twin turbo 4.4L has oil level detection but it does not have a dip stick. It is enfuriating, you have to drive around until the engine is at norm. temp. then park on level ground and push a button. 1 minute later you get the results of the oil level test. It is a PIA. It will give an oil level low alarm when running also.

Turbos are usually not the source of oil consumption to my understanding extra heat in the intake Valley causes the valve oil seals to dry and leak allowing oil vapor in the valve covers on the intake stroke the oil burns on combustion if it is bad enough you get blue exhaust. When the turbos are located further from the engine, no heat no oil consumption problem.

Anyone know where the turbos are located on the 3.5 ecoboost? I'm only a couple weeks into the expy, only filled it once and haven't even washed it yet.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Any ford
My bmw 550i twin turbo 4.4L has oil level detection but it does not have a dip stick. It is enfuriating, you have to drive around until the engine is at norm. temp. then park on level ground and push a button. 1 minute later you get the results of the oil level test. It is a PIA. It will give an oil level low alarm when running also.

Turbos are usually not the source of oil consumption to my understanding extra heat in the intake Valley causes the valve oil seals to dry and leak allowing oil vapor in the valve covers on the intake stroke the oil burns on combustion if it is bad enough you get blue exhaust. When the turbos are located further from the engine, no heat no oil consumption problem.

Anyone know where the turbos are located on the 3.5 ecoboost? I'm only a couple weeks into the expy, only filled it once and haven't even washed it yet.

Any forced induction engine is hard on oil. The compressed air gets heated and absorbs moisture. The engine on boost uses more fuel. The extra fuel, compressed air and moisture create blow by. The oil gets contaminated with fuel and moisture, through the pcv. The oil goes through the hot turbo to cool it. This combination can't tolerate long drain intervals.

scotthere

Reaction score
That is under the head but looks like there is lots of room for venting the heat. My bimmer they are in the valley and not much vent flow. I think they should put them by the back bumper. Just need double the piping plus really long oil supply and return lines hopefully shielded.

scotthere

Reaction score
Any ford
Any forced induction engine is hard on oil. The compressed air gets heated and absorbs moisture. The engine on boost uses more fuel. The extra fuel, compressed air and moisture create blow by. The oil gets contaminated with fuel and moisture, through the pcv. The oil goes through the hot turbo to cool it. This combination can't tolerate long drain intervals.
I'm a little confused about your explination. Here is my understanding; moisture comes from humidity in the air. This makes the air less dense which results in less compression less blow by because of less compression, it also results in less oxygen in the combustion cycle and less ability to burn fuel. At the same temperature and altitude engines make more power in the dry air.

The Positive Crankcase (cc) Vent valve function is to prevent pressurization of the cc to prevent oil leaking out shaft seals and through valve seals on intake stroke. It vents "blow by" from the cc to the intake so it does not pollute the atmosphere like old vents to atmosphere. It draws a vacuum on the cc and it has a check function which when functioning only allows flow out of the crankcase so it can't contaminate the oil unless it is not functioning.

IMO the most significant problem with oil is overheating which causes carbonization turns the oil black is solid and does not lubricate but increases friction. Turbos are hot and are tough on oil because they are hot.

BTW I think I was discussing oil wastage or consumption in the oil level discussion.