Popping Noise From Rear A/C Blower '03 Expo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thread has been a huge help to me, as this forum often is...time to pay it forward. :angels25:

These are for the rear/auxiliary....both of my motors were gone (2005 EB Expy) but the lower one was making the most racket.

Ford # on the upper part motor (the one that can be reached through the cup holder/tray being removed), responsible for air direction ceiling/floor:

2L2H-19E616-AA ----> This translates to Motorcraft # YH1743

Ford # on the lower/side mounted motor (responsible for hot/cold blend):

3L1H-19E616-AA ----> This translates to Motorcraft # YH1749

NOW - for the lower motor, hot/cold blend door - I could not find that Ford # anywhere on the internet...!!! The upper motor was all over the web but the lower was a mystery. I initially ordered the wrong part from an online retailer (autopartstomorrow.com) but by the time I figured that out they'd already shipped it - still have to deal with the return. Went to Ford locally here and the guys at the parts counter initially gave me the wrong part # as well (GRRRRR!!!!). Turns out that Ford changed the part # on the lower to 3L1Z-19E616-AB which converts to the Motorcraft part # YH-1749 as mentioned above and the dealer cannot even cross-reference the original # on the part (3L1H-19E616-AA)!

I stayed away from the Dorman parts altogether after reading a bunch of different forums that reference this problem - the general consensus is that the Dorman parts will fail much earlier than the OEM parts and thus, even for the cheaper price - I avoided the possible hassle. YMMV and all that, choose your own path, grasshopper. :console:

I paid ~$50 shipped from autopartstomorrow.com for the upper and $67.xx with tax for the lower from Ford. Could have done better on the lower but I gave up looking for correct part # online and went to the dealer in case I was wrong again - and again, they managed to get it wrong the first time, too and had to refund me in full for the part but we put our heads together and managed to get the correct part the second time. The dealer closest to me (Huntersville Ford) says they normally stock these because they sell so many of them....go figure! :mfr_omg:

Hope the above helps someone! :happy160:

zimman20,

Thanks for this! I have an 05 EB Expy, that I just bought that will not blow air out of the top vents. I'll be purchasing both and replacing them soon.

Andy

matthec1

Reaction score
Thank you for all this great ingo helps alot!!!

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Tapatalk

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced the top motor...still popping...still cold air...sounds like its the actual motor to me...so I will replace the side motor next before the main motor in the housing

Holy Rollerz Christian Car Club (HRC3)

05Limited

Reaction score
I have found on the new to me 05 Limited that I have this problem also. After reading this thread I took the cup holder and rear tray out and just unplugged the top motor for now. The air blows out the roof vents so that will work right now. Will remove the part tomorrow before ordering so I get the right part. This website/forum is amazing, I wish I would have found it before purchasing the Expy I would have had some bargaining tools. Oh well, still love it so far.

AskMeLater

Reaction score
2003 EB 4x4

Thanks for all the info, y'all. My new-to-me 03 EB 4x4 had at least one of these motors clicking, so I just went ahead and changed both of them. No more noise! Total time to do both was about 45 minutes.

Roof/floor selector = Dorman part no. 604-213 ($49.99)
Cool/Heat mixing door = Dorman part no. 604-202 ($39.99)

Bought from Advance Auto Parts. Ordered online and picked up in store. Be sure to use discount code TRT37 to save $30 off $75 purchase. Or, if you need other parts too, use code TRT41 to save $40 off $100 purchase.

Last edited:

evolocomotive

Reaction score
Replaced the one on top yesterday (that regulates top to bottom) in less than 30 min!!

Thanks to the veteran guys on here for posting this up, I was so afraid I was going to throw away money to the stealership. Fixed it so fast, I was blown away how easy it was and momma was super happy!!!

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
for me it was the side mount that was bad...swapped that and good to go...so both got replaced and should last another 10yrs

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need to do this to mine.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk