Power running board issue. Not Stuck, retract early.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tmitch

Reaction score
2015 King Ranch. Just started having an intermittent issue with passenger running board. Deploys when door is opened, stays down about 3-4 seconds then retracts. I have found several threads dealing with boards basically needing cleaning and lubrication, which I have done. Anyone experienced this issue?

Updated observation. The door ajar light turns off when the board retracts with the door open. Anyone know where the switch sensor for door hides. latch?

Last edited:

G213

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's way more information then you probably want.

Have you tried a battery pull for 10+ minutes? My boards always need to be re-enabled after a battery pull.

- Pull battery for 10+ minutes (even overnight if you like); then reconnect battery.**
- Open driver door after reconnecting battery. They will not deploy, this is normal.
- Start truck and throw them back in "auto" mode via the vehicle options.
- Drive slowly about 25 feet, they will deploy and retract automatically (while you continue to drive). I think this is so they can relearn their travel path, but I could be totally wrong.

** Best practice is to do this with a cold start. After battery reconnect, start engine and follow the steps for the truck to relearn it's idle trim and strategy. It's not required, but you may have an inconsistent idle until the truck eventually figures it out.

** Battery pull also resets your transmission shift strategy, it's best to keep your foot out of it for your first couple drives to give the ECM the time to relearn shift patterns. Once done, you can revert back to "spirited" driving :)

** Personally, I also cycle through the different moonroof positions and cycle the power mirrors a couple times. I've never heard of this being required on FoMoCo, but I've heard GMs ask for this after a battery pull on their trucks. (I'm a proud obsessive perfectionist with my trucks LOL)

In terms of cleaning/lubrication, you're dead on...a periodic spray of the hinges with a pressure washer is always good, especially if you drive in winter or sandy conditions. I live in LA and despite the truck only ever seeing rain maybe 20 days a year, I'll still give them a spray and lubrication every few months.

Same goes for lubrication, I've had good luck with motorcycle chain spray.

Does this happen with both passenger doors?

If it's only one door, I'd definitely be checking out the door sensor path. I have no idea where the sensor is (I've wondered myself). From what I've seen, there's nothing obvious (like a button switch on the A/B/C pillar)...maybe it's in the door latch itself? I'd be interested to know this as well.

If it happens with both doors, next question would be do you see the same behavior with the door ajar light on both doors? If so, that's either two bad sensors or now it could be an issue with the BCM module.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tmitch

Reaction score
I haven't tried the back passenger door. I'll check that next. Thanks for the input. I've now heard that the "ajar" switch is at/in the latch in the door. I have heard that the switch can get stuck and keep the "ajar" light on. Mine seems to be the opposite.

G213

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I haven't tried the back passenger door. I'll check that next. Thanks for the input. I've now heard that the "ajar" switch is at/in the latch in the door. I have heard that the switch can get stuck and keep the "ajar" light on. Mine seems to be the opposite.

Good to know, let me know how it turns out!

BEAR5oh

Reaction score
Had something very similar on my 2015. Only on the front passenger door. It was also an intermittent problem for about a year. Board cycled as it should. Sometimes it wouldn’t come out. Sometimes it was delayed coming out. (Really fun when it decides to work and your shin is in the way) Sometimes it came out and went back in like yours…and longer or shorter amounts of time. Functioned normal with the rear door. Seemed to work normal through the summer. Started again when it got cold.

The gremlins started when the sunroof was no longer sealing. Water was getting inside. Thats where I’d start checking first. Something is causing your door sensor or door sensor circuit to malfunction.

Best o luck. Hope you figure it out.