Power running board motor removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK guys, need some advice...when deploying the running board on the drivers side squeaks. I can hose it down with tri flow, etc and get it to stop for a couple days then it comes back. So I figured I’d just take the 3 bolts and wedge on the motor shaft off, slide it out, grease it up, and put it back on. Pretty straight forward...I can do most all home repairs, rebuild motocross bike motors, do most car repairs myself, etc so this should be cake since it’s only got 4,500 miles on it and nothing is crusted together yet.

2 hex bolts no problem. Got to the 13mm and I can’t get a socket on it. The motor housing and bracket get in the way. I tried multiple different sockets and also tried metric and standard. No luck.

Anyone else delve into this?

Bolt I can’t get to circles in attached pic.

EC3C7E52-8DB6-4AA8-BC93-81921B912B5B.jpeg

Aaron

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you tried getting to the bolt when the running board is deployed? Before you fight more with taking it apart maybe try spraying chain wax for bike/motorcycle chains. I’ve had good success on mine with DuPont chain saver wax based spray with Teflon. It’s nice because it flows into the crevices around the linkages and then sets up so it lubricates for a long time. I spray mine maybe once a year and live in an area where they spray brine on the roads in the winter and it seems to work well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MxRacer965

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you tried getting to the bolt when the running board is deployed?

yes, that isn’t the issue. The issue is the clearance between the bolt head and motor housing is too narrow. Same for the bracket and bolt head. The socket walls are simply too thick.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went out to the garage and was able to get a 6 sided 13mm short socket with a u-joint extension onto the bolt head. I updated my original reply and wondered if you have tried spray wax to lubricate the linkages instead of taking it all apart.

image.jpg

Shaffer9

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went out to the garage and was able to get a 6 sided 13mm short socket with a u-joint extension onto the bolt head. I updated my original reply and wondered if you have tried spray wax to lubricate the linkages instead of taking it all apart.

View attachment 35847

This is why this forum is great! What an awesome group to go out of the way to help.

OP
OP
MxRacer965

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score

View attachment 35847

thanks for checking. I went back out again to give it a go. I tried 12 point deep well, 12 point shallow, 6 point deep, 6 point shallow (all 3/8) and couldn’t even begin to catch the bolt head.

I grabbed a 6 point shallow 1/4” drive and could just barely catch the top of the bolt head, but not enough to do anything but slip off.

Yours a 4th gen? or earlier?

Here’s a better pic with the motor housing in the way.

29B49E03-760B-4DF4-BD99-A4987119C833.jpeg

And the 6 point I could just barely catch the top of the head with

D9B1FE78-C123-4F0D-ACE4-F4A6FF643139.jpeg

I have already tried heavily lubricating. I’ve tried WD40, Maxima Chain Wax (motorcycle chain lube), ballistol, and tri flow. It’s the main motor shaft that seems to make the noise. I lubricate it heavily and make the board go in and out 20+ times and the noise goes away for a few days and comes right back. Which is why I wanted to lube the motor shaft with grease. A seemingly simple job isn’t quite what it seems...

OP
OP
MxRacer965

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hmmm. Same spot on my 2018. Maybe your socket is thicker or bolt is in a slightly different orientation. Maybe find a thinner walled socket.

A02A8A4D-4B70-4994-AED6-779AECB74876.jpeg

Last edited: