Rear Sway bar?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The noise from mine was way worse due to dirt in the bushings. Took the brackets off, cleaned the bushing and re-greased mine with really good mobile1 synthetic grease, made sure none of it seeped out (as that attracts dirt) and put it back together. Way better since.

Some have potentially had issues with the factory end links being too weak, I upgraded my fronts for around $30, was super simple.

All in all, and I realize it also has a different suspension than mine, but the 2020 expy I drove for 10 days as a loaner was noticably worse, especially in turns like an on ramp. It's worth it imho.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm on the fence. It sounds like the bars greatly improve the handling and bobble head effect, but a couple of posts mentioned noise and a harsher ride/rebound. Could those of you with the bars installed elaborate on any negatives? I'm also curious how the ride is while towing. TIA!

A big negative for me is any bar that has more resistance takes away from the articulation of the vehicle. I take mine off road and tow a bunch. So the stiffer bar help one and hurts the other. The Expy needs all the help it can get off roading. Sway bar disconnects would be nice. But for towing you can’t beat the Sumo Spring spacers and the rear bar. The Elvis pelvis ride didn’t really bother me like it did Deadman. but once you get the rear bar installed you realize how much the car actually does move back and forth. Highly recommended if you tow a lot along with the Sumo’s. But these are not a replacement for a properly set up WDH if your application requires it. It makes towing the boat so much better. As far as the ride while towing, I can’t really tell much of a difference. I am on a 3/2 lift, 35” 10 ply tires. So I have already taken the ride hit. Still rides like a marshmallow compared to the Superduty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A big negative for me is any bar that has more resistance takes away from the articulation of the vehicle. I take mine off road and tow a bunch. So the stiffer bar help one and hurts the other. The Expy needs all the help it can get off roading. Sway bar disconnects would be nice. But for towing you can’t beat the Sumo Spring spacers and the rear bar. The Elvis pelvis ride didn’t really bother me like it did Deadman. but once you get the rear bar installed you realize how much the car actually does move back and forth. Highly recommended if you tow a lot along with the Sumo’s. But these are not a replacement for a properly set up WDH if your application requires it. It makes towing the boat so much better. As far as the ride while towing, I can’t really tell much of a difference. I am on a 3/2 lift, 35” 10 ply tires. So I have already taken the ride hit. Still rides like a marshmallow compared to the Superduty.

Absolutely. Mines a pavement princess people mover. I've got a 3/4 ton for my off road stuff. I just like the stability it provides on the road, pretty impressive.

Squark

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll order the bars. I rarely go offroad but tow a travel trailer often, so they sound like a good fit. I use a ProPride hitch with the trailer and have gone to the scales to get the proper weight distribution, so it's set up about as good as it can be. The Expy tows it fine, but I'd love to cut back on the side-to-side movement from bumps. My wife climbs in the back to help the kids and quickly feels carsick. The motion didn't bother me until I read this thread and now I notice it all the time!

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll order the bars. I rarely go offroad but tow a travel trailer often, so they sound like a good fit. I use a ProPride hitch with the trailer and have gone to the scales to get the proper weight distribution, so it's set up about as good as it can be. The Expy tows it fine, but I'd love to cut back on the side-to-side movement from bumps. My wife climbs in the back to help the kids and quickly feels carsick. The motion didn't bother me until I read this thread and now I notice it all the time!

My kid is always on his iPad watching videos or playing games. He never got car sick until the Expy. He has not gotten sick since the bar was installed. We didn’t do many trips last year due to the CV19. But I hope it stays that way. Even with your WDH I think you will enjoy the sway bar towing or not. Deadman should get a referral bonus on all these bars he has sold.

bwhinnen

Reaction score

I can't wait for mine to get here. Off topic question, how do you find the ProPride hitch with your RV?

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I seriously can't believe how many people "tolerate" that kind of vehicle movement. The first week I owned it, I thought to myself if this doesn't get addressed soon, I'm dumping this vehicle because I absolutely hated the ride. I'm picky yes, but its insane how much it slops around with todays technology that is totally unacceptable to me.
The simple bar fixed it completely. I could only imagine how car sick anyone would get in the back. My wife wanted to barf in the front passenger seat, she told me to take it back. lol.

bryz_expy

Reaction score
Rear installed (thank you to those who provided some install tips). It took about 15 minutes. Finding the right size socket (15mm) and a small wrench to hold the shaft on the link bolts because they were spinning took longer than the actual install.

Only had time for a quick test drive slow speed to be sure nothing was making any noise but tomorrow I have a small road trip on highways.

question because I saw some folks talking about squeaking. I was considering removing each bracket and drilling a small hole on the rear of the bracket and through the bushing. Then adding a Zirk fitting for periodic lubrication. Thoughts?

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Could work. Hadn't really thought about it, but they shouldn't make too much noise. Unless they are submerged or you're constantly on dusty roads.

bryz_expy

Reaction score
I’ll give it some time and see how they are doing. Thanks

Now to search for a good price for the front and play the waiting game.