Second row bench seat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StealthyBulldog

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would do a combination of TobyU and Fozzy and cut out patches in similar carpet, larger than the bare spots, tuck it under the factory carpet and then get the plugs Fozzy shows (a little longer because of the thickness of the carpet) and make a small slice and insert the plugs through the carpet patches into the bolt hole.
Stops patch from moving and protects bolt hole threads.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thread button head bolts in the threaded holes and buy plugs like posted earlier in the others.
Then buy the floor liner of your choice that is for the captains chairs.
Take a heat gun and form the floor liner to the hump and you’ll be just fine.

Granted I have a 16 but I pulled the center seat as we have 3 in car seats and 3 across the middle row was a nightmare on trips.
The oldest can buckle himself so he walks right to the back. Life is good!
Once they are out of car seats and we need the armrests again the center seat will go back but then one can fold the center row to access the rear which is not possible now.

We are looking to replace my wife’s Highlander as we are tired of the oldest boy having to climb through the hatch.

I prefer the versatility of the bench where the Center row can be removed.
Which kicks out the Tahoe and Yukon as it is a 60/40 setup.
The Sequoia can be removed and it is my wife’s top choice even though it is seriously outdated.
Not fully opposed to buckets but we’ll get what she wants for her vehicle.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'll provide the voice of dissent. In both our cars we had the option for captains seats and we went with the bench and couldn't imagine having captains because:
  • We have a dog that's often in the back along with any amount of gear. No nice to be able to keep the 3rd row down until needed rather than always having one up and dealing with shifting around the gear/dog
  • Our daughters (12, 10, 7) love interacting with each other in the car. They can't stand when they are the one who has to sit in the 3rd row by themselves ("What did you say? I can't hear you back here!")
  • We find ourselves with 7-8 passengers all the time between friends and grandparents...never find ourselves saying "wish we had the extra seat for this trip."
My girls find the bench in the Expy plenty spacious and don't lack for comfort. Heck, in my mid-size SUV they always opt to be in the second row together rather than one heading into the third. We've rented (or had loaners) with captains chairs before and they are always happy to get back to their bench.

This is our experience. Just another opinion...obviously do what's best for your family.
Same here
I honestly don’t get the captains chairs thing. Im the dad that hauls the kids 99.9999% of the time.
I also haul club Volleyball kids 10yrs old and my sons sports buddies 8 yrs old.

captains chairs cause a few issues I never see anyone mention which seems to be tied to one major factor they are hauling kids less than 10 miles and rarely ever if at all travel farther than a short local trip.

lets talk car sickness sensitivity. Yup lots of kids seem to have this now days. Mine do not but many kids I’ve hauled do. The third row regardless of vehicle unless we are talking full sized van with huge custom van windows pretty much suck when it comes to people who are sensitive to being car sick.

when given the choice of 2nd row bench seat or climbing into a 3rd row Everyone wants the 2nd row bench seats.

lets talk seats vs gear yup 5 people can travel in a vehicle with a bench 2nd row with dogs, gear, tools etc safely stowed in the back. Not so much in captains chairs.

Now Ford has done something smart. Their new 2nd row bench actually is 40/20/40! Yep so now when you need captains chairs you have them and when you don’t need them you don’t have them.

I get it, I really do many people are way into this captains chair thing. What’s funny is that I’m seeing many early addopters who are replacing their first captains chairs suv opt out and getting bench again. For all the reasons I just listed.

If you don’t travel very far, don’t haul very many kids captains chairs “might” be ok for you. For those of us that haul a wide range of kids and adults and do longer trips captain chairs are very limiting and don’t work well at all.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Same here
I honestly don’t get the captains chairs thing. Im the dad that hauls the kids 99.9999% of the time.
I also haul club Volleyball kids 10yrs old and my sons sports buddies 8 yrs old.

captains chairs cause a few issues I never see anyone mention which seems to be tied to one major factor they are hauling kids less than 10 miles and rarely ever if at all travel farther than a short local trip.

lets talk car sickness sensitivity. Yup lots of kids seem to have this now days. Mine do not but many kids I’ve hauled do. The third row regardless of vehicle unless we are talking full sized van with huge custom van windows pretty much suck when it comes to people who are sensitive to being car sick.

when given the choice of 2nd row bench seat or climbing into a 3rd row Everyone wants the 2nd row bench seats.

lets talk seats vs gear yup 5 people can travel in a vehicle with a bench 2nd row with dogs, gear, tools etc safely stowed in the back. Not so much in captains chairs.

Now Ford has done something smart. Their new 2nd row bench actually is 40/20/40! Yep so now when you need captains chairs you have them and when you don’t need them you don’t have them.

I get it, I really do many people are way into this captains chair thing. What’s funny is that I’m seeing many early addopters who are replacing their first captains chairs suv opt out and getting bench again. For all the reasons I just listed.

If you don’t travel very far, don’t haul very many kids captains chairs “might” be ok for you. For those of us that haul a wide range of kids and adults and do longer trips captain chairs are very limiting and don’t work well at all.
I completely agree. I think captains chairs were just about looks or more like a status symbol that seemed more elegant. You know it took you further away from the station wagon mentality which is really what an SUV is... a raised station wagon.
When hauling people, it's absolutely stupid to have a second row that only holds two but a third row that holds three. When you have three people to haul and the rear parts of the vehicle you have to cut through or flip a seat. So much nicer to have three spots available in the second row and you only need to worry about using the third row if you have a fourth. Often times and picking up kids and friends you will have three but you rarely have four.
This is where the Explorer does a better job then the expedition.
That I only have first and second gens because I'm cheap and old school but I'm sure the new ones aren't much different dot. It seems a shame to me to make such a large vehicle but then not have much room inside of it!
My wife's daily driver and the vehicle I drive most often is a Chevy Trailblazer. It is a much smaller vehicle than my second gen Navigator but when you sit on the seats there is little difference. I think the Trailblazer actually has a wider bottom seat than the Navigator which is a real shame!
In both vehicles the door is right on top of your thigh and you can hardly reach your hand between the door and the seat. This is quite ridiculous. What they've done is the Trailblazer has a very narrow console but still large enough for my purposes. It's a fine little armrest. Where the Navigator has a giant console that you could put two gallons of milk in. Just like the one in the rear between the seats.
I would much rather have a wider more comfortable seat and an a narrower console.
Once again, I will say I don't really think the manufacturers have any idea what we want. They're not having people come out and having focus groups sit in two different vehicles with different width of seats and different sized consoles. There's simply not. They're having people sitting vehicles that are already designed and comparing vehicle Aid a vehicle be like anachronox or a Tahoe and comparing it to an Explorer or an Expedition.
They keep building what they have in building or what they want to build or just making small little changes because they're bored and we have to choose from what's available which is mostly what has already been available.
If we could start with more of a clean slate and let people say what they really want in the design we could get vehicles we really and truly like more.

Rick Anjel

Reaction score
I choose a bench also. Love to have the 8 sitter available, as I have 3 kids (9, 13 & 16) and they always have friends and going to soccer practice basketball, etc we take our kids friends who are their neighbors with us. Last month we went to Orlando with a total of 9, have to say one didn't get a seat belt, but they all had a great time and no issues at all during the 4 hour trip.

aporthole

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Meh, I wouldn’t bother plugging the holes or worrying about the slight divot. I’d just throw down the WeatherTech one-piece 2nd/3rd row liner to cover it and call it good. Makes it a little faster/easier if you want to put the center seat back in.

We have three kids (10, 7, 4) and I love the 2nd row bench. We keep all of the kids in the 2nd row 90% of the time but also often have extra kids with us and use all 8 seats regularly.

Randy Schmidt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I like having the 2nd row captains chairs. While I have two high school aged kids, traveling to hockey games with teammates isn't a problem with 2 in second row and 2 in the third row. All the hockey bags fit nicely in the rear of my Max. But I do understand the convince of a second row bench if one had younger kids.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I like having the 2nd row captains chairs. While I have two high school aged kids, traveling to hockey games with teammates isn't a problem with 2 in second row and 2 in the third row. All the hockey bags fit nicely in the rear of my Max. But I do understand the convince of a second row bench if one had younger kids.
With two people it's almost as convenient. The only thing I don't like is she really can't get both people are on the same side of the vehicle as it's hard to get across in front of the console. You almost have to let each person get on each side. It's creates an issue in various situations. Not just with kids as most people open their own door but sometimes you don't want the younger kids getting in on the driver Street side. This also is aggravating when you use vehicles for livery service like so many SUVs are now. Will used to use Town Cars and most people getting inside over but occasionally people use both doors as it's easier than sliding. With the SUVs with the second row console you almost have to get on each side of the vehicle so that's kind of aggravating and hard to coordinate when you have a driver opening the door for you and such.
Now if you commonly transported three kids it would be a totally different ball game as every time they got in some would have to crawl over the console into the back or flip the seat to get into the rear. Whereas, with an Explorer or a vehicle with the middle seat, they would all just get into the second row seat.