Sheared off transmission pan holt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Actually yes, my post pertained to the trans bolt like you said. Repair the bolt. Toilet spacing dude quoted it above. Perhaps he would respond to it also? Probably not ... All he has is spittle.

Why did you delete your post #14? Luckily, I copy & pasted it before you did (post # 17). Lying piece of sh*t!

"Repair the bolt". Brilliant! I'm sure he would've never guessed that it was an actual option without your valuable contribution, MrMediocre. You sooo smaaart!

Btw, no one cares about your 40 years on the job of installing urinals and getting splashed by stale piss.

:manos:

Last edited:

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
762mm, thanks for the suggestion. It’s too hard to get a drill bit in where the bolt is located, so I’m just going to leave it. I’ve got 14 other bolts holding the pan in, and it’s the shallow end where the magnet’s located, so I’m not too worried about it.

Yup, then just leave it. As long as the other bolts are torqued right, it shouldn't leak. If you're really concerned about it though, you can use some high temp Permatex liquid gasket to seal the mating surfaces on the outside lip, plus the bolt hole.

I did it once on the crank seal of a GMC truck, which was a ***** to get to if I were to replace the seal. The liquid gasket applied from the outside onto mating surfaces permanently stopped a drip of oil. Just make sure the surface is nice and clean + free of any oil (I use acetone to clean). It should last many years, if not over a decade.

Andy Rubalcaba

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi sorry to barge in on an older thread but i'm trying to locate some insight on here.

Attempted to do my trans fluid service today on my expy, which i've done before on my old land rover but 3rd bolt into the job and I managed to strip the hell out of the trans bolt which is in center on passenger side. the pipe being in the way was just so fun to deal with, i've now ordered a 8mm flexhead socket to do the job a bit easier, i'd like to re-tackle and not resort to pulling into a shop.

1) does anyone know where to get accurate trans pan bolts, or should I call the dealer? because i'm not getting good vibes from google on that one.
2) will the stripped bolt be a nightmare to deal with? if professional help is needed i'd rather them just handle that single bolt than them try to handle the whole fluid change service.

any thoughts i'd appreciate it!

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi sorry to barge in on an older thread but i'm trying to locate some insight on here.

Attempted to do my trans fluid service today on my expy, which i've done before on my old land rover but 3rd bolt into the job and I managed to strip the hell out of the trans bolt which is in center on passenger side. the pipe being in the way was just so fun to deal with, i've now ordered a 8mm flexhead socket to do the job a bit easier, i'd like to re-tackle and not resort to pulling into a shop.

1) does anyone know where to get accurate trans pan bolts, or should I call the dealer? because i'm not getting good vibes from google on that one.
2) will the stripped bolt be a nightmare to deal with? if professional help is needed i'd rather them just handle that single bolt than them try to handle the whole fluid change service.

any thoughts i'd appreciate it!

1. Get the part number from the dealer. Then buy the Ford part elsewhere or simply buy a bolt from wherever with the same specs.
2. You may be able to hammer a smaller socket on there or drill it out and remove with a screw extractor. I don't know how limited your access is.

Andy Rubalcaba

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1. Get the part number from the dealer. Then buy the Ford part elsewhere or simply buy a bolt from wherever with the same specs.
2. You may be able to hammer a smaller socket on there or drill it out and remove with a screw extractor. I don't know how limited your access is.
it's the center bolt on passenger side under the exhaust pipe, so yeah it's pretty limited. what i'll do is get an extractor kit, and a flex joint socket to attempt to get the right angle on it. I found an 8mm flex socket that should work well for the trans pan, but first is tackling the stripped bolt :(

Andy Rubalcaba

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The pan bolts are just metric M6x1.0 x 22mm (length). You can find them at any Ace Hardware, or maybe Lowes (if you're lucky...). Or you can order a whole set online: Ford 6R75 pan bolt set online
whoa, those bolt heads are very different. on that you'd use an allen head, which believe me actually sounds pretty sweet as far as clearance and getting them out; but, the pan bolts the truck comes with are 6 point hex socket heads.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
whoa, those bolt heads are very different. on that you'd use an allen head, which believe me actually sounds pretty sweet as far as clearance and getting them out; but, the pan bolts the truck comes with are 6 point hex socket heads.

Yes, these look better and are easier to access in those tight spots.

Retiredusps

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you could also do what they did on old chevy valve covers, get a sction of flat stock and remve 2 adjsent bolts and drill flat stock for those holes if any of the old seared bolt sticks out driil a hole for that also, tighten down and go down the road. if there is alip on pan grind down flat stock to fit inside of lip clips and fasteners hae a good section on bolts