starting issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

standardmoose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey guys
im not sure what the problem is so i have posted here.

ive got a 2009 expy, and in the past few days starting has seemed a bit slow/labourus. its not the usual turn key and start, but now some times it seems to struggle. and it sounds like it isnt going to start.

now the weather here has changed alot in the past week or so, and got a lot cooler. im talking like 18-27 degree c, usually its int he thirties or higher so its cool for the weather here and ford did say i might have problems when it gets cooler as im using an AC delco battery rather than a motocraft one, but im not sure if thats just ford being ford.

it is due in for its 88000km service at the moment and will be going on this weekend, but i was just wondering if anyone might know what is going on.
this has happened on a hot and cold start as well.

cheers

mrford60

Full Access Members
Reaction score
have your battery tested at a garage or autozone or other auto parts store that will test it. it sounds like it is weak.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OP
OP
standardmoose

standardmoose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
cheers guys,

i booked it in for its service yesterday so i imagine ford is going to say it needs to be changed.
when i looked at it yesterday i had a look at the indicator which should be green if everything is ok, but its black which is saying it needs to be charged.

yesterday when i started it after posting on here, it started perfectly fine, no issues at all and this morning was the same thing i then drove for about 45s and stop for fuel then when i started it it seemed to struggle again, but i was stopped for maybe 2-3 mins?

so im hoping it just is the battery.

cheers the help guys

metaldrgn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What are the cold cranking amps of the battery and how old is it? I wouldn't take it to the dealership unless it's under warranty.

OP
OP
standardmoose

standardmoose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
im not really sure, i have owned the epxy for a year and its the battery it came with.

but it did turn out to be the battery, last week it died in the mall car park, luckily i had bought a portable jump start kick the weekend before, which came in handy.

it is actually something i recommend buying as it did save me a load of time and effort, i bought a black and decker one with air pump built in and can jump up to a 6.5ltr engine. and the best part you dont need to wait to jump start it, just attach the cables and start the engine, not trying to promote it or anything lol but it did save me a load of hassle.

thanks alot for all the help guys