Synch 3 Wifi update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GeezingInVA

Reaction score
I actually envy some of the problems/issues posted. I can't get past the "Installation Failed; Error Code: MEM_ERR03" when trying to update/upgrade from vers 2.2 on my non-nav 2016 Limited. I've tried the hardware and procedure alternatives/recommendations found in this thread and others, including trying with an assortment of (newly full-formatted exFAT) 32GB/64GB/128GB USB2.0 and USB3.1 thumb drives from SanDisk, PNY, and Corsair. Even though awhile back I was able to update to vers 2.2 from the original factory-installed vers 1.0, I was never able to update to vers 2.3 and now vers 3.0. Consider yourselves "lucky". Cheers!

Last edited:

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
SYNC 3 v2.2 – APIM Programming Installation Failed Error – 2016-2017 Ford/Lincoln
oemdtc May 24, 2017 Diagnostic Tips

2016-2017 Ford/LincolnSYNC 3 v2.2 – APIM Programming Installation Failed Error

A ‘Installation Failed Error Code: MEM_ERR03’ error message may occur when programming the SYNC module to v2.2.

Programming tips:

The USB flash drive must be 32GB formatted to exFAT.

Do not remove the USB flash drive from the media hub until the final installation message is displayed (non-Nav vehicles have two installation complete messages).

Perform a complete ignition cycle by turning the key off for 5 minutes (open/close driver’s door) which is critical for a successful installation.

If these tips are ineffective, perform a SYNC master reset (Settings ⇒ General ⇒ Master Reset), ignition OFF for 5 minutes, ignition ON, and insert the USB drive again to complete programming.

If the message is still present, no additional repairs should be attempted.

Engineering is aware and is currently investigating. Monitor OASIS for future updates.

https://ford.oemdtc.com/2809/sync-3...stallation-failed-error-2016-2017-fordlincoln

GeezingInVA

Reaction score
Thanks, chuck s. I'm ready to try anything short of having to take my Limited back to the dealer to have them try to update our SYNC3 to vers 3.0. Cheers!

GeezingInVA

Reaction score
SYNC 3 v2.2 – APIM Programming Installation Failed Error – 2016-2017 Ford/Lincoln
oemdtc May 24, 2017 Diagnostic Tips

Thanks, again, chuck s. Tried that; same results. I even broke down and called the 800 help number on the displayed error message. I followed their "tap your head while you rub your belly, open/close the driver's door, skip around the vehicle clockwise twice and counter-clockwise once, and then sing all verses of Born In The USA"... and that didn't help either. :insane:

Just like I finally gave up with updating from vers 2.2 to vers 2.3 on my own, I'll just wait until the next regrettable need to have to break down (pun intended) to go to the dealer, then have them try to update to vers 3.0. (Maybe by then we'll have vers 4.0?)

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Good instructions are designed to be failsafe, hence leave it running.

Calling Ford’s instructions Good in most cases is hilarious!!!! There help line is in most cases hilarious.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I actually envy some of the problems/issues posted. I can't get past the "Installation Failed; Error Code: MEM_ERR03" when trying to update/upgrade from vers 2.2 on my non-nav 2016 Limited. I've tried the hardware and procedure alternatives/recommendations found in this thread and others, including trying with an assortment of (newly full-formatted exFAT) 32GB/64GB/128GB USB2.0 and USB3.1 thumb drives from SanDisk, PNY, and Corsair. Even though awhile back I was able to update to vers 2.2 from the original factory-installed vers 1.0, I was never able to update to vers 2.3 and now vers 3.0. Consider yourselves "lucky". Cheers!

You live anywhere near Richmond or Norfolk? If you do, let’s catch up and I should be able to get you straight. Send me a private Message.

The Non-Nav systems are WAY more of a pain than the Nav version and are more dependent on the Flash drive than the Nav version because of their limited storage memory.

I have done Nav updates using a 4GB Drive, but the Non-Nav I have not been successful with anything less than a 16GB, but you should have that covered with what you tried.

If you are willing to try it one more time follow these steps:

1) Turn off your antivirus if you are running one while you are downloading and installing to flash drive.
2) Download Update again.
3) Format flash drive to ExFat, Full not quick/fast
4) Remove flash drive
5) Reinsert flash drive and copy files to flash drive
6) Remove Drive, and turn AV back on
7) Start Car and wait for Sync to come all the way up
8) Turn off Audio and HVAC
9) Reboot unit 2 complete times(Holding Power and Next Track for 6+ Seconds), waiting between each reboot for Sync to boot all the way.
10) Insert Flash Drive with NOTHING else plugged in to the other USB ports if you have more than one.
11) Follow instructions on screen.

I have been using a Drive recently that has a flashing LED to indicate access. It helps me to know something is happening.

Yell back how it goes.

GeezingInVA

Reaction score
You live anywhere near Richmond or Norfolk? If you do, let’s catch up and I should be able to get you straight. Send me a private Message.

Yell back how it goes.

Thanks. I'm up near Fairfax (in the part of VA Richmond doesn't recognize :sorrysign: ). I'll try your recommendations tomorrow, and let you know what happened. Cheers!