The "Auto Stop-Start" is so annoying!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to the BMW lifestyle. Haha! I’ve been dealing with gremlins in BMW’s for 20 years. Sounds like Ford has finally caught up.
It’s not quite to the BMW level bad... I still have functional blinkers.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I’m getting the lights shutting off quicker than usual from time to time and also my doors don’t always lock/unlock when touching the door handle but will with the fob. This happens if I don’t drive the vehicle for a day or so. Sounds like I may have a similar issue. I keep the ASS disabled so I can’t comment on it.

I also have been having trouble with the “touch to lock/unlock” feature; it always works on the driver’s door, but it’s spotty on all the others. I also had an instance this weekend where the third row wouldn’t go up or down with the buttons at the back. All of which is easily explainable by the battery not having sufficient voltage. Which means the vehicle is doing as designed and prioritizing systems to make sure it will still start up in the morning. And for that I am happy.

Given that you have disabled ASS, I suspect it has nothing to do with that system whatsoever (I’ll admit the repeated power cycling doesn’t help, but I don’t think it’s the main culprit). I think it has more to do with the sheer volume of electronics running in this thing, even after the vehicle is shut off. This very issue is likely why many vehicles now are built with a mild hybrid system or a second battery under the back seat to help share the load of all the fancy electronic whizbangery.

But hey, if I need a new battery every 2 or 3 years, so be it. As long as the vehicle continues to function such that it never strands me, I can handle a couple Benjamin’s every 24-36 months.

Uturn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey, I have a 99 BMW 540i and it has been solid. Still only on it's third battery. Can't say that for my 06 F350, it eats batteries even with the use of a maintenance charger and a DC power 180amp alternator. Doesn't discriminate against brands either. Duneslider, the electronic piece on the battery is part of the battery monitoring system. I imagine that any little bit of corrosion on the battery terminals is going to cause issues with the power systems on the EXPY's.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
But hey, if I need a new battery every 2 or 3 years, so be it. As long as the vehicle continues to function such that it never strands me, I can handle a couple Benjamin’s every 24-36 months.

Just buy batteries with a 5 year warranty and if they die every 2-3 you just get a new one. Before sears disappeared, I would buy the Diehard Platinum for my Jeeps, it had something like a 5 year warranty and a 4 year prorated after that. The jeep was pretty hard on batteries so I would just get a new one as needed.

Like mentioned, the Northstar batteries are nice but very pricey. I have had good luck with Optimas the last 6-8 years (they had some quality issues a while back that soured their reputation a bit). I have been seeing a lot of guys in the jeep club running an AC Delco AGM, seems to be a nice battery also. I am seeing a lot of good quality AGMs out now, I honestly don't see the need to spend big money on the northstar and odyssey anymore. I look at cost vs warranty and availability. If I can't easily get it replaced if under warranty I won't bother.

AAOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It’s not quite to the BMW level bad... I still have functional blinkers.

How did you know about the blinkers? In the 750i I would get a DTC warning on cold humid mornings, and the blinkers would come on but not turn off after making the turn. I would have to manually turn them off like an old motorcycle. It would usually clear with a restart. BMW couldn't figure it out so I went to a local indy and he tracked it down to a faulty ABS module (a four figure $$$$ part).

I went aftermarket on my BMW AGM at O'Reilly Auto Parts after the BMW one went dead and they wanted like $750 to replace. It was around $200 at O'Reilly at the time and is still in the car doing its thing.

Aggie, did you try charging or taking it for a free battery check before going to the stealership?

Last edited:

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have been running AGM batteries since the Optima first came out. They went down hill and had a lot of problems and I switched to Odyssey. They have been great. In all the years I have had them. The secret to keeping any AGM battery alive is a good AGM charger to top them off. I like the NOCO chargers and I also have the Optima one as well. I have yet to see any factory vehicle, boat, side by side or ATV capable of topping them off. They slowly get drained without a good charger topping them off every so often. My Expy and my wife’s new Aviator came with AGM batteries. You would think Ford could figure this out but I don’t think they have. I put my AGM charger on the Expy and it showed 75% charged. I have not been on a trip longer than a 100 miles or so in the last month. Topped it off and all the electrical bugs go away. Auto start/stop is back to annoying me now that it actually does it. I would love someone else with problems to top of their AGM and see where it was and if it makes a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Aggie, did you try charging or taking it for a free battery check before going to the stealership?

I did not. It was desperately in need of an oil change and had a nail in the tire (and I needed my mirror software update and have the sticky liftgate button) so I already had the appointment. It’s a Ford/Lincoln dealer, so they’re not as bad as many/most; hopefully that means they won’t screw me as hard as somewhere else might.

texevora

Reaction score
Just tried using FORScan v2.3.28 on my brand new 2019 Expedition to disable ASS. The FORScan tool says "additional change required in IPC" next to the Auto Stop Start option toggle. I toggled it to disabled and ASS is successfully disabled after this change, however I get a "Charging System Service Soon" message on engine startup that I have to clear by hitting OK. Changing ASS back to enabled in FORScan no longer triggers the charging system error, but I'm obviously back to square one.

How does one make the change in the IPC referenced in FORScan, or is that something that is not currently possible with the existing FORScan version? (I do have the extended license)

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited: