To the Max or Not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mack444

Reaction score
Just to chime back in after getting my Timberline (switch from 2002 Excursion 7.3PSD) a few weeks ago. Went on a short camping trip with 3 of my daughters this weekend. Loaded nearly all of our gear into the Yakima EXO Gearbox with only pillows and backpacks overflowing into the cabin space. Nicest thing about the Gearbox is that it unloaded then detached SUPER easy to leave at the campsite while we drove around the area.
Do I miss the expansive interior cargo room? Yes!
Am I happy with the trade off for more comfortable interior, ride quality, driving experience, and handling? ABSOLUTELY!
Still honeymooning for me, but some relationship improve w age…

SunnySunshine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My parents and I currently use a 2006 Honda Pilot, which my dad bought almost new (it was a dealer test drive vehicle with most of the bells and whistles). There has been many times, through the years we drove it, where we didn't have enough room in the back for some stuff on road trips, and had to leave them behind. My mom and I tend to overpack a bit so...

Right now we're in the market for a Platinum MAX for the extra storage space in the back, the newer driver assistance technology (I'm partially night blind so my dad usually ends up driving at night and it is very tiring), and our Honda is dealing with engine problems after the 16 years of driving. If you are in the same boat, have a family, and need extra storage in the back, go for the MAX.