Transmission Problems?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blackscreen67

Born to spool
Reaction score
Is this a recall that I can have the dealer do a repair? Very much appreciated your help!

A TSB isn't a recall, it's a known mechanical issue and the means of how to fix it when someone shows up with symptoms. Its basically the cheat sheet for the service tech. For your situation it may not be exact, but associated. So you know, I do hope to be wrong in these types of situations!

Also looks at your trans fluid and see what color it is, and make sure it measures full. Low fluid can cause converter issues aswell.

Randy Schmidt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A TSB isn't a recall, it's a known mechanical issue and the means of how to fix it when someone shows up with symptoms. Its basically the cheat sheet for the service tech. For your situation it may not be exact, but associated. So you know, I do hope to be wrong in these types of situations!

Also looks at your trans fluid and see what color it is, and make sure it measures full. Low fluid can cause converter issues aswell.
Thanks again for your help.

Reaction score
This video explains it really well. Although my noise didn’t sound anything like the one the truck in the video was making.

This!! This is exactly what happened to me! I only had about 4,000 miles on when it started. Took it in, they replaced a solenoid. Pulled out of the dealer and it made the noise. Took it back, they found the check valve and replaced it. A couple weeks later, making the noise again. Found the IWE's failed. Replaced them and so far so good. It was hard to duplicate. Wish I had seen this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trunk monkey

Reaction score
Randy and 99White -

Yes, that is the TSB that applies to my issue. It started around 4000 miles. While in 2wd I would hear and feel a soft grinding when accelerating lightly followed by a loud thunk which corresponded to a gear change. (It’s only when accelerating lightly.) Naturally I assumed it was my transmission having trouble finding a gear and/or slipping. I took it in and they were unable to replicate the issue (because of course). I went in and took the tech for a ride and replicated it for him. As soon as it happened he knew exactly what it was. The check valve in thefront drivers side 4wd hub had a leak.
As the TSB indicates, the fix is to replace the valve. That’s what the dealer did to mine and it’s been right as rain ever since.
Apparently this is an issue with these vehicles and the F150s going back to 2017 because of the way they rerouted the vacuum lines or something.
Apparently the grinding isn’t always associated with the issue because if the leak is bad enough the vacuum will leave all at once and the hub will drop in immediately without the slow bleed off.

If you have a 4wd, I would bet you a dollar this is your issue and it’s not a tranny problem.

thank you, aggiegrad05. Mine is doing the same thing. I’m also hearing an odd sound (like high pressure air escaping) followed by a slight thunk at 70mph...the problem is very intermittent but hopefully with your info the dealer can find the problem.

Jake Corporal

Reaction score
Hi. Just want to find out if anyone has experienced this issue. My 2018 Max Limited keeps displaying a “Transmission not in park” message even though the vehicle is already moving (usually shows up, repeatedly, while trans is in D and with foot on the brake and even when vehicle is creeping up to around 15kph.

Also, when i shift to D or R and depress the brake, vehicle will start to creep but suddenly stop after a loud clunk and trans shifts back to P on its own. Has given me several problems in parking lots.

i brought the vehicle to the dealer twice and they said that the shift module was replaced. But the issue has manifested again repeatedly since then.

Thanks in advance.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi. Just want to find out if anyone has experienced this issue. My 2018 Max Limited keeps displaying a “Transmission not in park” message even though the vehicle is already moving (usually shows up, repeatedly, while trans is in D and with foot on the brake and even when vehicle is creeping up to around 15kph.

Also, when i shift to D or R and depress the brake, vehicle will start to creep but suddenly stop after a loud clunk and trans shifts back to P on its own. Has given me several problems in parking lots.

i brought the vehicle to the dealer twice and they said that the shift module was replaced. But the issue has manifested again repeatedly since then.

Thanks in advance.

You’ve got a door problem. Short in a latch or something.

“Trans not in park” comes on when I’m sitting still, not in park, and open the drivers door. As to it slamming you into P, again, it thinks you’re rolling and your door opens so it’s taking you back to P (as a safety feature...which many folks on here have complained about).

I’d bet my paycheck your vehicle mistakenly thinks you’ve got a door (probably the drivers) open.

NukeLife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This.
Aggiegrad is on the money here.
Probably a hardware issue such as a wiring harness pin not seated properly, or the door limit switch slightly misaligned.

Jake Corporal

Reaction score
Thanks, Aggriegrad and Nukelife! I’ll be bringing the vehicle back to the dealer on the 26th and will share the feedback you gave. Hopefully that solves it.

Thanks again and Happy Holidays to you both!