Travel Trailer for full time rv living

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reklaw

Reaction score
I have a 2015 Expy EL Limited. I am interested in Keystone Passport 3352BH. Is this too heavy for the expy to tow with 2 dog 4 kids, hubby and myself? We are going to live in this full time and this floor plan is the best with giving up the added need for washer dryer. Thank you all in advance.
I honestly thing with a trailer that size you should be using at least a 3/4 ton truck if not a 1 ton truck.

As an example, I picked up my 2008 Expedition with max tow a year ago and just picked up a WildWood X-lite and while this thing is plenty light enough for the Expedition to pull the tongue weight is always an issue. I got a good weight distributing hitch though and I'm towing it good.

Now, As someone that watches a lot of camper walk throughs, I don't think you are going to find a trailer that makes you happy that will pull good behind an Expedition.

LG_123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We full timed in a 34’ airstream for a while with two toddlers and found that was much more space than we needed. We didn’t even use all the storage space inside the trailer.

We have now bought a Springdale 251bh for 1-2 month trips and will be taking our first one this summer.

I think you’d be happy living with less space and being under 30’ total length makes it easier to park.

But I also wouldn’t worry much about towing weight limits. Just make sure the hitch is setup correctly. Considering driving to CanAm RV in Ontario to have it done if you’ll be towing over the sticker limits. Ford studied their methods to redesign the f150 and expedition hitch receivers.

Retiredusps

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The heck with performance. I would not even attempt to pull with a expy !!!!! Independent rear wheels get it wagging the dog tail you will be stopping and changing you shorts in the Hosp. Drove gasoline tank trailers for 20 years, Personally I would avoid you on the roadway like a accident to happen . Maybe a 250 or 350 not even a 150.look on youtube for a guy pulling a trailer on the nj, gsp that will make yor mind up real quick on how much you can pull with a suv Trailer is in rea of 7000 lbs

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you. Do you have a recommendation on any travel trailers?
On websites like Rvtrader, you can enter the maximum weight, slide count, length, etc. I suggest browsing campers that are within the weight limits I provided. I have a Salem Cruise Light T282QBXL. It was perfect for our family when we got it, but now that the kids are a bit older we don't use it quite as often. It's near the limit for what you can pull because of the payload limitation. Mine is 7,000 lbs loaded and we tow with empty water tanks.

ediddily

Reaction score
Please read through my post below as I go into depth on tow capacities and determining spec on each component of towing.

I have an 07 XLT, 280K miles, tow a 23' travel trailer at just under 6,000lbs for summer trips. Everyone has there opinions but its up to you to learn your own abilities and capacities on towing, especially full time.

My towing post
Tow Guide

Based on the vehicle and trailer you given:
2015 EL: EL specs
Towing maximum: 9,100lb

Payload Capacity (You and your stuff in car only): 1530 lbs.
GCVWR: 14,900-15,300lb (depending on gearing)

3325BH: Trailer

Shipping (DRY) Weight: 7,827 lb.
Carrying Capacity (your stuff in trailer): 1,673 lb.
Hitch: 950 lb. (don't know if this is fully loaded value)
Fresh Water: 43 gal (334lb)

Lets add some numbers:
w/o fully loaded trailer: (7827lb ÷ 9100lb) x 100 = 86%
w fully loaded trailer: ((7827lb + 500lb stuff + 334lb [water if carried full]) ÷ 9,100lb) x 100 = 95%

GCVWR 15,000lb - 6500lb (loaded and full tank) - 8,500lb (fully loaded trailer w/ water) = 0lb remaining

Technically based on ROUGH numbers, you could tow this and a trailer dealer will not go through these numbers for you nor with you, they just want to make the sale! The trailer is a bit long and heavy in my opinion. You will be risking a lot with this particular set up. If you get in an accident with this setup it will automatically be your fault. If a highway patrol weighs you and your over any sticker limits, you're screwed. Towing big things is no joke and you must take it seriously. You don't want to put your family or other motorists in danger.

I hope this helps. Good thing your asking questions. We all have experience here and some are willing to share and others are just critics. But YOU must do YOU'RE own research. Watch a lot of You Tube videos on setups. Don't forget the ones that crash so you know what not to do.

Last edited:

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2015 Expy EL Limited. I am interested in Keystone Passport 3352BH. Is this too heavy for the expy to tow with 2 dog 4 kids, hubby and myself? We are going to live in this full time and this floor plan is the best with giving up the added need for washer dryer. Thank you all in advance.

4 kids, 2 adults, 2 dogs. You Will have a hard time finding the right trailer or tow vehicle for that. Forget the Expedition, with that payload alone in the truck you'll be towing a 23' trailer to be in line with the payload of the truck. But that trailer will be way too small for 6 individuals and 2 dogs.

Some will tell you get a F250/350, but even then if you went that route you will find too many persons, dogs, etc for the space in a pickup.

You may want to re-think your plans. You could always get a 33 foot massive motorhome and dingy a mid/small SUV.

OP
OP
D

danienew214

Reaction score
Please read through my post below as I go into depth on tow capacities and determining spec on each component of towing.

I have an 07 XLT, 280K miles, tow a 23' travel trailer at just under 6,000lbs for summer trips. Everyone has there opinions but its up to you to learn your own abilities and capacities on towing, especially full time.

My towing post
Tow Guide

Based on the vehicle and trailer you given:
2015 EL: EL specs
Towing maximum: 9,100lb

Payload Capacity (You and your stuff in car only): 1530 lbs.
GCVWR: 14,900-15,300lb (depending on gearing)

3325BH: Trailer

Shipping (DRY) Weight: 7,827 lb.
Carrying Capacity (your stuff in trailer): 1,673 lb.
Hitch: 950 lb. (don't know if this is fully loaded value)
Fresh Water: 43 gal (334lb)

Lets add some numbers:
w/o fully loaded trailer: (7827lb ÷ 9100lb) x 100 = 86%
w fully loaded trailer: ((7827lb + 500lb stuff + 334lb [water if carried full]) ÷ 9,100lb) x 100 = 95%

GCVWR 15,000lb - 6500lb (loaded and full tank) - 8,500lb (fully loaded trailer w/ water) = 0lb remaining

Technically based on ROUGH numbers, you could tow this and a trailer dealer will not go through these numbers for you nor with you, they just want to make the sale! The trailer is a bit long and heavy in my opinion. You will be risking a lot with this particular set up. If you get in an accident with this setup it will automatically be your fault. If a highway patrol weighs you and your over any sticker limits, you're screwed. Towing big things is no joke and you must take it seriously. You don't want to put your family or other motorists in danger.

I hope this helps. Good thing your asking questions. We all have experience here and some are willing to share and others are just critics. But YOU must do YOU'RE own research. Watch a lot of You Tube videos on setups. Don't forget the ones that crash so you know what not to do.
Thank you for your feedback. I have been doing research and I am considering smaller trailers. Ive gone down 600lbs now. But Im understand safety is prime and not really an option

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Remember you have to be able to stop this thing as well as pull it.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Remember you have to be able to stop this thing as well as pull it.
True, but the trailer brakes do help. It's not much different from bad weather, grades, low tread, etc. You have to leave a bigger buffer. Of course, emergencies do happen, but there's not really a ton you can do about that except for watching for expecting the worse from people, like jackasses that jump in front with no room.

Someone else with a similar limitation posted on FB that they settled on this one: 2022 Forest River Wildwood FSX Midwest 178BHSK.

DeafBringer

Reaction score
A lot of good feedback and sound advice in this thread regarding towing capacity. I won't rehash that as I largely agree with the general concurrence.

I will instead comment on the experience of living in a 30 ft or less trailer as a teenager with an older sister and 2 parents plus 2 dogs. In short, I highly do not recommend it. It was a miserable experience for 4 people and 2 dogs long term. Not enough space, definitely not enough privacy, and not enough infrastructure to support long term living in a >30ft trailer. This was in 3 different trailers of different layouts/configurations with and without sliders. The longest trailer was 33' if I recall, all bumper/hitch pull.

Shower/bathroom was super crowded, even when empty due to all the personal hygiene needs stored there. Food storage was always an issue, even when doing minimalist shopping each day. Privacy was near non-existent and schedules had to be made in order to be away from the trailer for certain "activities" by parents. No matter how discrete they tried to be, it was always painfully obvious. Family activities were extremely challenging and always required at least 1 person to be uncomfortable, this was done via rotation but still put a damper on activities. I have a long list of other negatives but I think what I posted above is sufficient unless you want to know more.

for 4 kids, 2 adults, and 2 dogs, a 5th wheel of comparable length to a 30 ft travel trailer will give you a lot more space to rectify the above major challenges that made it a miserable experience and that's just living. A pick up with extended passenger quarters would be advisable for a family of your size with the added ability of a 5th wheel. 6 door trucks are more common than people realize. This approach probably widens the necessary budget significantly. Living in a RV with a full sized family is a lot more expensive and a more challenging to do so and do it well enough that the family is not miserable. Whatever you decide, good luck and keep us posted!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire