Update all versions of Ford Sync 3 to the latest Sync 3.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
LokiWolf - The FAQ's for the APIM update state, "Before starting this process, it is recommended that you try making the AsBuilt changes to try enabling calm screen and radio logos first - Approx 2018 and onward vehicles are likely to have this update anyway. (NOTE: Once you have made the AsBuilt changes, perform a master reset of your APIM and check that radio logos and calm screen stay enabled. If they disappear, you will need to follow this guide to make the changes stay permanently)"

Have you had success with this AsBuilt process on '18-'19 models?

I have had varying luck with it. I always forgot about it until I get to messing. I tried it on a late 18 Expy with no luck. But on a 18 Mustang it worked. Used FORSCAN, the Stang was already on 3.4 using the CyanLabs installer. After a reset, and it is still working to this day as far as I know.

It won't hurt a thing to try it - The FORSCAN changes that is.

I have actually done the firmware 2 times. Both times I warned the person that it could brick the APIM, and I would not be responsible for the damage. It worked both times, but there are several pucker moments during the process. I never did it on my previous 16 Edge or 17 Expedition. Just didn't think it was worth the hassle.

daviddsims

Reaction score
I upgraded my 2018 Expy from 3.0 to 3.4 with no major issues. One weird annoyance, on Bluetooth calls it sometimes sounds like a robot or underwater. I did a master reset on the radio and repaired but still having the same issues. Anyone been able to fix this?

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Guess that's how 21020 is. I didn't check while I had 21020. Since I have a MY19, I have to use the cynalabs flash drive method to upgrade.

I have 21098 in my '19 from CyanLabs and this is what I see on Android 11, Ford Pass 3.22.0.

89bce6e3159aedc8691a6c88d486bb78.jpg

Last edited:

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I upgraded my 2018 Expy from 3.0 to 3.4 with no major issues. One weird annoyance, on Bluetooth calls it sometimes sounds like a robot or underwater. I did a master reset on the radio and repaired but still having the same issues. Anyone been able to fix this?
I ran into that briefly on a previous build and had to run the installer again.

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have had varying luck with it. I always forgot about it until I get to messing. I tried it on a late 18 Expy with no luck. But on a 18 Mustang it worked. Used FORSCAN, the Stang was already on 3.4 using the CyanLabs installer. After a reset, and it is still working to this day as far as I know.

It won't hurt a thing to try it - The FORSCAN changes that is.

I have actually done the firmware 2 times. Both times I warned the person that it could brick the APIM, and I would not be responsible for the damage. It worked both times, but there are several pucker moments during the process. I never did it on my previous 16 Edge or 17 Expedition. Just didn't think it was worth the hassle.

Did you have the adapter connected with USB 2 or 3?

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
3. Not sure I even have a laptop with only 2 anymore. It has been years. Probably more dependent on the chipset than the speed.

I have a 2019 LG Gram i7. Any issues that you're aware?