Vibration while towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just wanted to bump this up.

I have a vibration towing a utility trailer. With it empty, it’s at around 45 to 65. With a 1000lbs or so in it, the vibration is lessened and at a higher speed. In addition, I don’t have vibration (or it is not evident) towing a 5000lb travel trailer with WDH.

OP
OP
M

m3bs

Reaction score
Balancing the tires made no difference. I downloaded a vibration analyzer app to my phone, and confirmed that the vibration is at the rotational speed of the trailer tires, so at least I know its not the driveline or tires of the Expedition. Guess I'll have to try rotating my spare through each position to see which tire is the offender. I'd hate to have to replace 4 new tires with 4 new tires....
Weslake tires, BTW.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just curious....i know on my trailer tires it says the max speed for the tires is 65 mph. So i do keep my towing speed around 63 mph. Does anyone else check their tires for max speed, or do you just ignore the trailor tire recommendations and drives as fast as you want?

I also replaced mine with the Goodyear Endurance.

Stock tires are nicknamed “china bombs” because they can blow out easily. Even more so if not properly maintained.

Always check tire pressure and torque the lug nuts before every tow. That is what I do.

I kept my stock tires for two season before changing them. I really only did it because I found cracks inside the treads. Tires looked fine otherwise. I noticed an immediate ride difference. Trailer seems to track better behind the Expy.

9d580f8c363045804c068b9f156a0b36.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

m3bs

Reaction score
Resurrecting this thread again. No solution yet, in fact it’s getting worse. Aluma (trailer mfr) sent me a complete new set of tires and wheels. I got them balanced and installed, but the vibration is still there. I’ve played around with tongue loading, and only had about 350 on it yesterday, but it was awful.

It used to happen between 50 and 60. Now it shakes up to almost 70. Not sure what has changed. After a very tiring 3 hour trip yesterday, I’m about ready to shop for a new tow vehicle.

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Resurrecting this thread again. No solution yet, in fact it’s getting worse. Aluma (trailer mfr) sent me a complete new set of tires and wheels. I got them balanced and installed, but the vibration is still there. I’ve played around with tongue loading, and only had about 350 on it yesterday, but it was awful.

It used to happen between 50 and 60. Now it shakes up to almost 70. Not sure what has changed. After a very tiring 3 hour trip yesterday, I’m about ready to shop for a new tow vehicle.
Bottom line is if the vehicle doesn't have issues without the trailer attached then is probably not the vehicle.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Flat spotting on trailer tires? Can you park the trailer with the tires off the ground as a test?