what brands of oil ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChuckD

Reaction score
I run Royal Purple in everything but my F350 and use Moble Delvac 1300 Super.

timberwolf

Reaction score
Amsoil

0W30 + filter once a year in everything. I also use their 2 stroke @ 80:1 in every small engine I own. Plus the 0W30 in the crank of everything from the lawnmower, to the generator. Plus their heavy marine stuff in the diesel tractor.

AndyGJ

Reaction score
Good stuff. Only a few years ago it seemed that only imports would do that well.

I'll put a well maintained Ford against an import any day. I sold my 2000 Expedition EB with the 5.4 to my Dad at 125,000 miles. Then he sold it to my brother at 150,000 miles. My brother is horrible at maintaining vehicles, but has over 220,000 on it now with no major problems.

I owned the 2000 EB since new (ordered it from factory) and I always ran synthetic oil in the truck with the first change at 500 miles and regular changes every 5000 miles.

It was a great vehicle, and I hope to have the same success with my 2010 Expedition Limited. Since the dealership is 1.5 miles from my office, I have them change the oil and use the Motorcraft full synthetic in both the Expedition and my 2008 Shelby GT. They are the same price there as any other shop for the oil changes and extremely convenient.

Kurgenraider

Reaction score
I use Castrol GTX at 5,000 mile intervals with filter changes each time. 20/50 in summer and 10/40 the rest of the time. I am at 150k and going strong.

OP
OP
S

seeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'll put a well maintained Ford against an import any day.

I was only using my vehicle history to state that imports until lately were the majority of high mileage vehicles on the road. I will offer up the last three Honda's as part of my experience. 1985 Honda Civic 238k. Never even replaced the hoses, alternator, and still had the original clutch. 1991 Accord 221k with no events. 1999 Crv with 232k until it was crushed by an 18 wheeler on I-75. The last one is the reason that i am in a expedition which weights twice what the Honda did. It has a 105K and doing fine. Just trying to live long enough to retire. Then i see a nice f-150 4x4 in my future. So if i stepped on a nerve, I am sorry.

Scott Gunn

Reaction score
Amsoil

0W30 + filter once a year in everything. I also use their 2 stroke @ 80:1 in every small engine I own. Plus the 0W30 in the crank of everything from the lawnmower, to the generator. Plus their heavy marine stuff in the diesel tractor.

That's exactly what I do. I use the same two stroke oil in my Johnson 150hp outboard as well as the lawn equipment.

The 0w30 is supposedly good for 25k miles, but the filters need to be changed at 12,500, so I go ahead and change the filter and oil once a year. Never had any oil-related trouble, a 1997 2-stroke outboard, an Explorer at 150k miles, and a Nissan Maxima at 130k, all run perfectly. Also used it in an 02 Avalanche and 02 Subaru WRX, but didn't have either of those vehicles for very long.

Travo87

Reaction score
I have a 2002 expy with 170K miles on it and ever since day one i have used mobile 1 synthetic and still no problems knock on wood

Travo87

Reaction score
while were talking about oil im getting ready to drain my front and rear differentials. your supposed to do it every 70k miles. Im thinking about using Lucas gear oil. Im big on ams and mobil 1 but for gear oil i hear Lucas is the best. Tell me what u think

bring_em_on

Reaction score
I have an '05 XLT 5.4L with 118k on it. I do Mobil 1 5W-20 full synthetic every 5k miles. I recently had my cam phasers replaced (known issue with phasers, not because of oil) and when the mechanics pulled my valve covers the insides were spotless. They also ran a compression test and said it was almost factory spec!

All the guys at this shop swear by Amsoil. Between the 5 mechanics, they have over 100 years experience with cars and trucks. I do the changes myself so it's not like they stood to gain anything by having me switch. Amsoil and Wix filters for me from now on.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junker